Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble rebuilding thomsen pump...

Hello All
    I've recently tried to rebuild my thomsen #4 pump head and can't seem to get it to not leak. At first it holds but after a CIP or two and then when I get to product movement the leaking begins (of course!). As far as I understand I'm replacing the orings and gaskets properly, with the proper material. The metal in the pump doesn't look worn anywhere to make me think there is something wrong there. Has anyone had the same sort of problem when rebuilding these seemingly simple pump heads? Any help would be much appreciated...
    Cheers
    Jay Stoyanoff
    Brewmaster
    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
    Plattsburgh, NY

Jay
    is it an internal or external seal pump the number 4 comes in both

Fred
    Laughing Dog

Comment

it is...

an internal seal kit. I basically just replaced each oring, gasket and snap ring with an exact match. It seemed right, except for the fact it quickly leaks. Any thoughts?
      Thanks
      Jay Stoyanoff
      Brewmaster
      Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
      Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Jay
        mine are external check that your shaft that holds the impeller is set correctly if it is not you dont have the pressure against the seal and they leak

Fred

Comment

hmmm...

Now that sounds like whats going on...I'll check it out tomorrow AM and let you know. Thanks for the advice
          Cheers
          Jay Stoyanoff
          Brewmaster
          Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
          Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Also, check the condition of the back plate where the ceramic seal presses against. They get scored up and will leak, plus eat up your seal in no time. There is plenty of steel on this plate, and you can take it down to a machine shop and have them machine it flat again for a few bucks or cases of lowfills. The seals will last much longer if you do this.
            Linus Hall
            Yazoo Brewing
            Nashville, TN
            www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

And not just elastomers, but also the pump seal proper should be replaced. Maybe as often as once a year. Use a very thin film of food grease like Petro-gel on the o-rings to effect a very tight seal, and prevent dry bunching of the o-rings.
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
              X