Insulating blanket for a kettle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating blanket for a kettle.

I am looking to heat my kettle the night before brewing and then throw an insulated blanket over it to try to hold the temperature over night. Then when I come in the next day I can quickly heat the water and transfer it to my mash tun and fermenter (used as hot liquor tank). Any recommendations for a blanket? I am thinking a horse blanket or something like that.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

I recommend you ask here: Home Brew Talk You might find someone doing the same.
    Cheers!
    David R. Pierce

Comment

I've been thinking about insulating my kettle with foil backed insulation attached with metal tape. I just haven't looked into the cost yet. 7bbl kettle covered with that insulation can't be cheep, but cheaper than jacketing it!
      Slainte,
      Jeff Lockhart
      Brew Master
      Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

Hi Jeff. I met you at Colorado Boy when I was taking my class. Are you still in a Frankenbrew set up?

The tanks hold temperature pretty well overnight. I just want to be as efficient as possible. I don't think there are too many home brewers on 7bl. systems, that is why I am asking here.

Thanks,

Rich

Comment

Rich,
          Didn't mean to insult you. Your profile says enthusiast which generally translates to homebrewer. I've reread your question and nowhere does it say 7 bbl. system. My bad.
          Cheers!
          David R. Pierce

Comment

HK, my sys is the one I'm talking about, I h8 UM, Yes, back to my old sys in Caonn City, CO. Dairy tanks and Grundys.

I think the insulation may help if you can afford it. Otherwise, a moving blanket may work? What is your sys size?
            Slainte,
            Jeff Lockhart
            Brew Master
            Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

Steam fired or direct heated kettle? I'd put a simple timer on the kettle valve to have hot liquor when you walk in the door in the morning. Be less inclined to do that on a direct fired system.
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Mine is 15 x 30 with a 30+ bbl HLT, all steam.
                Cheers!
                David R. Pierce

Comment

Working...
                X