Whirlpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool

Hi all, I'm new in this online forum, I've read it a lot but this is my first post.

I'm moving from a 1 BBL homebrewing kit in a house garage to a 5 BBL brewing system in a special rented place (for now call it a Brewery is too much).

This is a big step for me, discovering the TriClamp universe and a lot of new stuff, but it's an amazing world and I'm glad of be part of it.

I'll bothering you all with silly questions sure, so please forgive me about my newbiness.

Actually in the 1 BBL kit I made the whirpool with a stainless steel paddle in the Boiling Kettle...I was wondering how I must perform it on the new kit, Do I need a bigger paddle and the help of a couple of friends?

Please do not laugh at me!

Cheers & Regards from Argentina!

get a bigger paddle (think oar not paddle). You should have no problem (with a little effort) moving 5 bbl into a whirlpool by yourself.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

+1 on the paddle (oar). I know a few brewers who whirlpool with paddles on their 15bbl systems.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

What do you think about using a pump and some piping with a tangential inlet half way up kettle' side wall? This was suggested also here by a forum member, in fact the kettle does have this inlet for whirlpool.

Regards

Comment

Pump might be overkill. Others may disagree. Make sure the impeller design offers little sheer stress. The larger the flocs, the nicer your trub pile will be.

Pax.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Whirlpool

Pump with an angled outlet half way up kettle works, but the pump shreads all your hops and trub into much finer particles, and the whirlpool cone doesn't hold together as well as using a paddle. We have a 10bbl kettle, and have not problem with the paddle.
            Stroke, stroke, stroke!

Comment

Interesting to read that brewer's on 15's use oars. I have believed upto now that pumping the whirlpool is the best way to go. Liam has more experience then I do, so I guess you learn something new everyday right? I will continue using a pump on our 7bbl system...old habits are hard to break

Comment

I agree with Liam and the others that a paddle is much gentler and more effective in removing trub than a pump. Especially throttling a high speed pump also used for knockout without a VFD. My new setup is a German style three vessel system with a dedicated whirlpool under the kettle. It uses gravity drop through a tangential inlet without a pump in a broad, shallow tank. Best of all worlds, maybe.
                Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

ay ay ay sir I will stroke as hard as I can!!!

Thank you all again, have a nice weekend & regards!

Comment

Pump with a variable speed drive so you can go slow;-)You can find the drives for a few hundred dollars these days.
                    Hop It And Bitterness Will Come

James Costa
                    Brewmaster
                    Half Moon Bay Brewing Co.
                    El Granada,Ca

Comment

Working...
                    X