Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Carbonation and DE Filtering process

Hi!

I'm looking at various brewing process for our opening in June 2012. We are getting unitanks and I planned on taking advantage of natural carbonation from the primary fermentation,up to now all this is pretty clear on how to proceed. My question has to do with DE filtering post primary.

I understand our beer wont be fully carbonated after primary, but will this affect the DE filtering process? I mean, if you're not using natural carbonation in your FV the beer will flow uncarbed in the DE filter, no problem, but what if it is at some carb level?

Maybe using natural carb. kicks the De Filter aside as it cannot work.. I don't know.

But I'm thinking that since we will create an equalize pressure between the FV and BV it wont matter...

Thanks for your help and tips!
    Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
    www.CasselBrewery.ca
    Casselman ON Canada

You can DE filter at any carbonation level (well, up to normal bottling carbonation levels). All you need to make sure is that you have sufficient top pressure on both the supply tank, the receiving tank, and the filter system to keep the CO2 in solution at filtration temps of less than 1 deg C. And probably a pump for the driveing force through the filter, rather than using higher pressure in the supply side as you are likely to end up trying to use pressures above the safe design limit for the supply tank.

And if you need to add CO2, my preference is to add after filtration because gas bubbles left in the beer (unless you have well designed / built carbonation system, when they hit the filter, will cause holes / thin spots in the DE layer, and you may get powder / yeast / protein breakthough these.
    dick

Comment

Thanks clears out my concern! Thanks Dick!

Cheers
      Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
      www.CasselBrewery.ca
      Casselman ON Canada

Comment

Just to add a couple of things to Dick's excellent info:

Top pressure - make sure this is CO2, especially in the receiving tank, as using N2 can result in CO2 loss and gas layering. This is particularly important if you are likely to keep your beer in bright tank for more than a day or so;

CO2 addition - definitely post-filter and, if you analyse CO2 levels, take samples well after the carbonation point (or preferably in tank) as CO2 micro-bubbles can take a while to truly go into solution and this can affect the accuracy of the result by some analytical methods;

Natural carbonation - likely to be around the 1vol. (2g/l) level as a rough guide, from my experience.

Comment

Thanks KWLSD! I will add these notes as a reference when production starts!
          Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
          www.CasselBrewery.ca
          Casselman ON Canada

Comment

Working...
          X