Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last of the Rack?

Hey folks,

I am new to packaging and just finished racking our first batch into kegs. We had about a half of 1/6th BBL left over from the rack due to shortage on the first batch we did on the new system. What is the recommended procedure for a half fill? Do we give it to employees, can we put it in the tasting room, and how do we account for it via excise tax. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks

~Matt
    Good Nature Brewing, Inc.
    Cheers,

Matt Whalen
    www.goodnaturebrewing.com

We just tax the keg according to how much is in it, then put some marking tape on it with the quantity and put it on our house tap. For determining the quantity, we put the keg on a scale and subtract the weight of the keg, etc.
    Chris Enegren
    www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainEBC
      We just tax the keg according to how much is in it, then put some marking tape on it with the quantity and put it on our house tap. For determining the quantity, we put the keg on a scale and subtract the weight of the keg, etc.
      Chris,

I figured that might be the case. Thanks so much! This is probably the procedure we will follow. Next question is... How much does a gallon weigh?

Matt
      Cheers,

Matt Whalen

Comment

8.34 lbs of water / gal, so to be completely exact, multiply the beer weight by the S.G of the beer.
        Chris Enegren
        www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

Remember that the headspace will have too much nasty oxygen to leave alone with your beer. Kegwashers that push out the final rinse with CO2 only drop the air content by maybe half.

I like to top up that final partial keg from reracking part of a previous full keg, so the new partial will have pure CO2 headspace from the re-rack gas.
          This can easily be topped up next time that beer is made, as a blend. I also like to have some cute 10 liter kegs available for just this situation.

Comment

Good idea.

Originally posted by Moonlight
            Remember that the headspace will have too much nasty oxygen to leave alone with your beer. Kegwashers that push out the final rinse with CO2 only drop the air content by maybe half.

I like to top up that final partial keg from reracking part of a previous full keg, so the new partial will have pure CO2 headspace from the re-rack gas.
            This can easily be topped up next time that beer is made, as a blend. I also like to have some cute 10 liter kegs available for just this situation.
            Thanks Moonlight! Great idea, I will try to get my hands on some smaller kegs for such events. Thanks again.
            Cheers,

Matt Whalen

Comment

Working...
            X