Line Cleaning Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line Cleaning Business

I was employed as a line cleaner by a local distributor but was recently laid off. Since then I have attained the equipment necessary to start my own business doing this service. The market is as follows:

The Budweiser distributor routinely performs this service for its clients. Coors performs this service once in a blue moon, literally. And Miller just doesn't do it at all.

I am looking into acquiring business from Coors and Miller, or maybe even the local bars and restaurants. I am uncertain of how to charge for this service and how to present this service to prospective clients.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Line Cleaning

One of the most important things is to know the regulations of the state that you are in. Every state has different regulations that are defined and enforced by the state agency that oversees the sales, distribution and manufacturing of alcoholic beverages. Some states mandate that only the distributor can clean the lines, other states require only the retailer to clean their lines; some states have no regulations at all.

How you market or sell your service to the retailer (or distributor) depends on what the regulations are. Once you know that, I can perhaps provide you with some additional ideas.

Comment

It's been a while since I checked with the ABC board, but from what I can recall, there are no regulations.

Comment

How much?

i'm just wondering how much beer line cleaners make an hour? thanks...

Comment

Charge by the line. Like ~$7.00/Line.
          Bottoms Up!

Comment

Another common way to charge is to have a flat fee per account, and then as jrdamas mentioned above, charge and additional fee per line. About $10.00 per account and ~ $7.00 per handle is common.

Comment

LC Charge

I charge a flat "visit fee" this includes a built in for the number of lines, set-ups, parking, FOB's, etc. Here in the twin cities it averages out to about $5 a line.

Comment

$5 seems about average. Although the number varies all over the country, I see $25-30 per line in Alaska and $8-10 per line in NYC but over all five seems to be the most common.

The best answer to the question is to put together a business plan. Determine you costs, overhead, time needed to perfom each account and your own financial needs and you will have your answer.

I charge a flat fee per line with a minimum to walk into each account. There are then additional charges for fob's at a rate of $1 per fob and an additional $10 per floor or remote cooler location. It took a while to dial this in but it seems to be competitive in my area. I also give a discount to encourage bi-weekly cleaning and I will not go any longer than 4 weeks.

Ed
                Blue Line Draft Systems
                Blue Line Draft Systems, LLC
                www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Sorry to show my ignorance, but what is fob?

Comment

A fob is an acronym for several things, foam on beer is the most common one. The is a device that sits inline (in the cooler) between your kegs and the tap. When a keg blows then this device shuts down the line eliminating the explosion of foam on the other end. When the keg is changed you can reset the fob and continue to pour beer without waste. Huge cost saver if you have long lines and/or lots of taps.
                    Blue Line Draft Systems, LLC
                    www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                      X