Glycol Control Panel Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Control Panel Issues

I brewed a batch of beer and noticed afterwards the temperature was at 53 F which had me dumb founded since I watched my run off carefully. Apparently my glycol control panels (A 419 Johnson Controls) are telling my fermenters to cool even though they are set at 70 F. The solenoids look to be working ,but for some reason the control panels are not telling them to close. Any ideas?

Several quick points... Are you sure the jumpers inside the controller are properly set to cool as opposed to heat?

Is the differential temperature setting correct? 1 or 2 degrees. Is this your first batch using this tank? Did you test before hand to see if the solenoid is wired correctly to close and open properly? Is the solenoid a normally closed valve?

How cold is your glycol? You could possibly have ice build-up preventing the valve from closing.

Comment

Are you sure your solenoid is actually closing? Is your system piped with pvc? Even really small pvc shavings can jam the solenoids open.
      Hutch Kugeman
      Head Brewer
      Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
      Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Does the PLC show that it is feeding glycol to the system? If so set the temp to a higher temp that the actual temp and see if it closes. If it does one of your settings on the PLC is backward. Download a manual at determine which setting tells it to close and change it.

Comment

I have seen both the issues that kugeman and undertow mention. Either should be easy to fix, try those then go from there.

Comment

Working...
          X