Rum Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rum Barrel

Just received a rum barrel from a local distillery. Was wondering what would be the best beer style to age in this.
    Steve Below

Head Brewer
    Below the Radar Brewing Co
    www.btrbeer.com

I've never tried any samples of rum matured beer of any sort, but I would love to try maturing an Imperial Stout. I've tried whisky, brandy, and Tequila matured IRS, and I reckon rum would complement it as well.

Tell us all what it is like when you bottle whatever you do

Cheers
    dick

Comment

i recently did a 8.5% porter in a rum barrel = amazing. the vanilla notes go amazing with the beer, i'm very stoked about it.

Comment

what about a saison? Spicy notes mixing with the rum?
        Steve Below

Head Brewer
        www.btrbeer.com

Comment

I have 9 gallons of russian imperial stout fermenting right now in a rum barrel.

Comment

Out of curiosity where did you guys find your rum barrels? I've been searching for some without any luck.

Comment

Small distillery in Tennessee. I got the only one they had. They will not have another one for two more years (did I mention it was a small distillery).
              Steve Below

Head Brewer
              www.btrbeer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Josh H
                Out of curiosity where did you guys find your rum barrels? I've been searching for some without any luck.

over on homebrewtalk there is a guy that sells 5 gallon barrels and occasionally gets 10-15 gallons

Comment

Here's a blog post from 2008 listing several small North American rum distillers. I bet at least one of them could help out. http://wineandhospitalitynetwork.com...rum-distillers

Originally posted by Josh H

Comment

I think I'm missing something

We experimented with a rum aged IPA that my two partners thought was wonderful. I thought it was a hate crime. Most people that tried it liked it but I'm convinced those that did were too long in the sun.

The odd thing is that I really genuinely like rum; not the pedestrian white rums that get put in coke or the spiced rums of undetermined lineage, but good, real rum, like 10 Cane or Mount Gay.

I crossed paths with a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask the other day and I didn't like it very well either, which is odd since I love Balvenie whiskys. This whole rum barrel aged thing may be beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by BTRBrewer
                      Just received a rum barrel from a local distillery. Was wondering what would be the best beer style to age in this.
                      I know the perfect beer to age in a rum bbl. But I ain't sharing with the competition.
                      Keith Yager
                      Head Brewer/Owner
                      Yellowhammer Brewing Co.
                      www.yellowhammerbrewery.com

Comment

Originally posted by hammer
                        I know the perfect beer to age in a rum bbl. But I ain't sharing with the competition.
                        Well aren't you special...

In future, keep your gloats to yourself. We generally offer help here. If you view the rest of us as 'competition' vs. brothers/sister in arms, something is wrong with you.

I second the strong porter suggestion. Perhaps a 'ginger' beer.

Pax.

Liam
                        Last edited by liammckenna; 01-03-2012, 10:54 AM.
                        Liam McKenna
                        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Originally posted by liammckenna
                          Well aren't you special...

In future, keep your gloats to yourself. We generally offer help here. If you view the rest of us as 'competition' vs. brothers/sister in arms, something is wrong with you.

You should now change your 'username'. If I see your current 'handle' needing my help in the future, you can go f#@k yourself.

Pax.

Liam
                          WHOA... I hope that was meant in jest as Yellowhammer's post obviously was... Yellowhammer and Below the Radar are in the same town and both part of the Alabama Brewer's Guild... while I haven't met these guys face to face to face yet, I am sure it was simply a case of busting a buddy's balls...

Comment

Perhaps I over reacted. I do apologize now that you've pointed out the hidden relationship. I've also edited my post to remove the profane reference.

I'm not psychic. How would I know they are even in the same state without visiting the signatory website?

I've had a few emails/private messages thanking me for my post. So I guess others had the same impression as me.

In short, this is probrewer.com. The 'pro' stands for professional. Please keep your silly playground games confined to private messages.

Grow up.

Liam
                            Liam McKenna
                            www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Wow. Lighten up dude. Someone get you a stool to help you down off that high horse.

Also, if your idea of "keeping it professional" is telling someone to go "f#ck themself" then you are the one that has some growing up to do.

Below, if you need a cold room to store that BBL in let me know. I can't promise I won't fill it though. ;~)
                              Last edited by hammer; 01-04-2012, 08:19 AM.
                              Keith Yager
                              Head Brewer/Owner
                              Yellowhammer Brewing Co.
                              www.yellowhammerbrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X