PBST feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBST feedback

Anyone bought any tanks recently from PBST? They have very competative pricing but would like some hands on feedback before purchasing

I would also like to hear feedback... of course, I would also like to see a quote in the first place... I sent a request in probably two weeks ago (via their website) and have heard nothing

Comment

pbst

I received a 7bbl fv and server. Manway doors are tough to deal with and have a huge shadow that collects yeast. Otherwise the welds seem nice and have brewed with them for nearly a year. Other odd things but not really a deal breaker.
      David Wollner
      Brewer/Owner
      Willimantic Brewing Company
      967 Main St.
      Willimantic, CT.06226
      860-423-6777
      www.willibrew.com
      david.wollner@willibrew.com

Comment

If they are like most at the moment their lead time will be in the area of 6 months. I have found some North American fabricators that can get it done in 3 months but the price is a little higher. I have got quotes from 23K to 37k for a 60 bbl FV. A few of the North American fabricators are just way out of the ball park with their pricing. Others are only slightly more than the Chinese. With what we will save in shipping I am staying home on this one.

I have used PBST in the past their tanks are holding up fine so far (a year in). I did have a minor problem with a spray ball that Frank took care of. Be prepared to replace all gaskets they are silicone and very small for tri clamp. FYI they do not pickle any part of the tank. You need to pickle the inside and put something on the outside as well. Stainless polished mine once and that seems to have done the job.
        Last edited by BrewinLou; 12-22-2011, 12:06 PM.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I did get the quote today and I can say the numbers look good. I get the impression that Frank actually READ my quote request, which I can't say for a few of the others that I have received.

Brewin Lou; I am not familiar with the term "Pickle" when it comes to tanks. I THINK I know what you mean, but please clarify.

Dwol and brew, please discuss gaskets and manways as mentioned. If you don't feel comfortable posting public, feel free to PM. Thanks!

And thanks again for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Bham Brewer
            I did get the quote today and I can say the numbers look good. I get the impression that Frank actually READ my quote request, which I can't say for a few of the others that I have received.

Brewin Lou; I am not familiar with the term "Pickle" when it comes to tanks. I THINK I know what you mean, but please clarify.

Dwol and brew, please discuss gaskets and manways as mentioned. If you don't feel comfortable posting public, feel free to PM. Thanks!

And thanks again for the info!

I think he means to passivate them.

A typical passivation process of cleaning stainless steel tanks involves cleaning with sodium
            hydroxide and citric acid followed by nitric acid (up to 20% at 120 °F) and a complete water
            rinse. This process will restore the film, remove metal particles, dirt, and welding- generated
            compounds (e.g . oxides). [3]
            www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

Originally posted by v2comp
              I think he means to passivate them.

A typical passivation process of cleaning stainless steel tanks involves cleaning with sodium
              hydroxide and citric acid followed by nitric acid (up to 20% at 120 °F) and a complete water
              rinse. This process will restore the film, remove metal particles, dirt, and welding- generated
              compounds (e.g . oxides). [3]
              Thanks. I thought that was what he meant. I consider this SOP on ANY tanks I receive anyway, so that is just fine.

Comment

Yes passivate.
                I do to, but I had never had a problem with the outside of a tank before.
                Joel Halbleib
                Partner / Zymurgist
                Hive and Barrel Meadery
                6302 Old La Grange Rd
                Crestwood, KY
                www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I agree that the gaskets have got to go, the clamps are pretty cheap, too. When the tanks showed up the doors were cut very roughly, as were the racking arms, which we had to bring fabricators in to fix up and polish. The gauges and thermometers are kinda crappy, too, and don't look like they'll be lasting long, and are off by up to 50%, anyway. Also, they don't make terribly efficient use of the floor space. There are a few other minor gripes, like the manways not CIPing very well.
                  Other than that, not too bad for the price.
                  Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

Working...
                  X