Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recomended Stainless Homebrew Conical suppliers for yeast Propagation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomended Stainless Homebrew Conical suppliers for yeast Propagation?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone is using any of the stainless conical fermenters on the home brew market for yeast probagation and would have any recommendations on manufacturers?

Cheers,

Dave Woodward
    Tofino Brewing Co.

Whitelabs has some type of converted keg in conjunction with SABCO you might want to check out.
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Most homebrew versions do not control the temp even close to well enough for me. I do have a version of the sabco, but only use it for yeast transportation from one brewery to another.
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Beer beer and more beer have the temp controlled conicals
        Big Willey

Comment

I've looked at the SABCO unit and looks quite nice but is strictly for yeast storage. Would anyone know of any units with proper temperature control? Our Brewery is quite cold in the winter time so having a heating unit would be an important feature other wise building a small warm room might be a consideration.

Comment

The most advanced homebrew fermenter available. Period! The BrewBuilt X1 Uni Pro uses Peltier technology to maintain fermentation temperatures with an unbeatable level of precision. No glycol chiller or fermentation fridge needed!
            Big Willey

Comment

You would have to put that more beer unit in a temp controlled box to have it get the proper temps.
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Why? It heats and cools. Unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible!
                Big Willey

Comment

That unit from Beer, Beer, and more Beer looks suitable barring further investigation but 27 gallons or 1.22 hectoliters (Sorry I'm a Canadian and we use Metric eh!) would be too small to make a pitchable amount for our brew size which is 12 HL or 10.2 USBL. I'm thinking a gallon unit with a good temperature controller and cooler would be in order in addition to a simple temp warming box.

I noticed Blichmann carries a 40 gallon FV but I can't see any cooling feature.

So the next question would be does anyone know of a manufacturer of a 40 g, SS conical FV with a cooling unit?

Cheers,

Dave Woodward
                  Tofino Brewing Co.

Comment

I know several people who have the More Beer mini unitanks and love them, they cool to 62F no problem in a room temperature environment.

Julio, How much yeast are you pitching in that volume? You don't need much!

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Originally posted by BigWilley
                      Why? It heats and cools. Unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible!
                      Sorry I was looking at temp deltas and thinking storage and crashing. That would not work for crashing. But would for propagation.
                      Joel Halbleib
                      Partner / Zymurgist
                      Hive and Barrel Meadery
                      6302 Old La Grange Rd
                      Crestwood, KY
                      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

2bbl and 3bbl jacketed fermenters

The bottom of this page has 125 and 225 gallon jacketed fermenters

at $4400 and $6000 US they are technically out of the homebrew range but might work for you.

Premier Stainless also makes 3bbl and 5bbl fermenters that could be an option, although again not in that homebrew price range.

Comment

I would not recommend the blichmann conicals.

I was considering the same use for it but, decided against it when I found out that it can only be pressurized to 3 psi. For me, that's not enough to pump out the densest slurry in my brewery.

Also, I don't think they make temp controlled units. They say that their units can fit into a standard refrigerator.

Buy a tank intended for propagation. It will pay for itself.

Comment

That's interesting to note about the Blichmann thanks. I would need to be able to pressurise more than 3 PSI to inject a culture into a full batch. I'll look into more models and if anyone have any further recomendations please throw in your two cents so to speak!

Dave Woodward
                            Tofino Brewing Co.

Comment

You could talk to John Watt at Stout Tanks about having something made.

the web site lists a 40 gal SS un-jacketed FV available right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X