glycol beer line system for nano fermenters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here are the fermenter tanks

since I could not attached to a PM I sent I will just put it here.
    Attached Files

Comment

setup question

Originally posted by CopperKettle View Post
      with a 1/3 HP chiller I would guess I can crash a tank from 68F to 35F in roughly 8-10 hours. I could freeze the beer if I wanted to.
      I want to use the UBC 3/4 Power Pack with an additional pump ( http://www.beer-co.ca/beer-equipment...ck-extra-3-4hp) to control temps on two 4bbl fermenters and two 4bbl bright tanks. Do you think this is doable?

Also, are you using a pressure bypass valve to prevent your pumps from dead heading if your solenoid valves on your fermenters are all closed?

Comment

not set yet

I know 2 3bbl should not be a problem. 3 tanks 2 pump dont think will do. Currently the picture you see is running 1 micromatic 1 pump. and my friends are having nightmre since they have the tansk in a series . I have suggested 1 pump per tank and a termocouple for each tank to control the flow temp separate from the bath.

Depemd on the HP and the tank capacity you might run the tanks in serial . I am not familiar with solenopid but I am picture it and controling the flow to the tank with solenoid valves and thermocpule should work.

CHuck

Originally posted by vvu View Post
        I want to use the UBC 3/4 Power Pack with an additional pump ( http://www.beer-co.ca/beer-equipment...ck-extra-3-4hp) to control temps on two 4bbl fermenters and two 4bbl bright tanks. Do you think this is doable?

Also, are you using a pressure bypass valve to prevent your pumps from dead heading if your solenoid valves on your fermenters are all closed?

Comment

Originally posted by gyropilot1 View Post
          I know 2 3bbl should not be a problem. 3 tanks 2 pump dont think will do. Currently the picture you see is running 1 micromatic 1 pump. and my friends are having nightmre since they have the tansk in a series . I have suggested 1 pump per tank and a termocouple for each tank to control the flow temp separate from the bath.

Depemd on the HP and the tank capacity you might run the tanks in serial . I am not familiar with solenopid but I am picture it and controling the flow to the tank with solenoid valves and thermocpule should work.

CHuck
          Thanks very much! This helps a lot !

Comment

Update on another nano setup

This thread helped me a lot, but we did something a little different so I figured I would post and let everyone know.

We hooked a 3/4 HP quick chill setup for a beer line system up to a larger glycol bath. The unit only has a 1 gallon bath so we have it feeding into 100 feet of copper coil to create an immersion chiller within the igloo cooler.

From there we have fountain pumps from Harbor Freight tools that go to each fermenter (2) 2bbl and (1) 4 bbl unit. We tried several pumps but the cheap $15 fountain pumps were perfect, they self prime and simply sit in the bath. They pump about 3 gallons a minute through our fermenters which has been perfect for us.

Finally, we have been able to crash a tank from 70 degrees to 40 degrees in our unconditioned warehouse in about 3 hours while maintaining the other two fermenters. Anyhow, hopefully this helps some others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00722.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	190169Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00721.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	190170Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00720.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	190171

Comment

Great Thread

This is a great thread, I just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

I got a deal on a Perlick 4420QC from their Factory Seconds department, literally a dent on the the top and side of the case and no warranty.
              It was 1/2 of the price for the same unit from Foxx.

It's 12000 btu's so should be very capable of handling our needs with a few 2 bbl fermenters.

I'll be setting it up in a similar fashion to jcwilde1, but the unit is expandable to 3 pumps so if we grow we can go to a more traditional system.

The link to the Factory Seconds at Perlick is here...

https://www.perlick.com/bar-beverage...ctory-seconds/

Cheers,

NB

Comment

Normally I let our banner ads do the advertising on this forum, but thought I'd chime in since it was mentioned in this post string that we didn't have an affordable option for these nano brewery applications.

We have recently added a 3/4 HP Chill&Flow Series Chiller System to our product line specifically for these applications, they are still more expensive than a system system designed for draftline cooling. Our Factory Direct Price is around $3800. One thing to know is that these are designed and engineered specifically for jacketed cooling applications.

One big difference between a draft line chiller and a system designed for fermenter jacket cooling are the glycol pumps. The Draft Line Chillers are designed to push chilled glycol in low volumes at high pressure through small cooling tubes in the draft lines. Tank Jackets require a higher volume flow at a lower pressure.

For more information on our Chill&Flow, please give us a call and we'd be glad to answer any questions and provide a formal proposal. You can also visit our website: http://www.prochiller.com/chillflow.html

Good Luck,

Jim

Pro Refrigeration Inc, manufactures, and distributes state-of-the-art chiller systems for the dairy, craft brewing, wineries, & many more!

jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

Least expensive reliable way of cooling as many as 9 nano fermenters?

Originally posted by jimvgjr View Post
                  Normally I let our banner ads do the advertising on this forum, but thought I'd chime in since it was mentioned in this post string that we didn't have an affordable option for these nano brewery applications.

We have recently added a 3/4 HP Chill&Flow Series Chiller System to our product line specifically for these applications, they are still more expensive than a system system designed for draftline cooling. Our Factory Direct Price is around $3800. One thing to know is that these are designed and engineered specifically for jacketed cooling applications.

One big difference between a draft line chiller and a system designed for fermenter jacket cooling are the glycol pumps. The Draft Line Chillers are designed to push chilled glycol in low volumes at high pressure through small cooling tubes in the draft lines. Tank Jackets require a higher volume flow at a lower pressure.

For more information on our Chill&Flow, please give us a call and we'd be glad to answer any questions and provide a formal proposal. You can also visit our website: http://www.prochiller.com/chillflow.html

Good Luck,

Jim

Pro Refrigeration Inc, manufactures, and distributes state-of-the-art chiller systems for the dairy, craft brewing, wineries, & many more!

jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com
                  Hi All,

Thanks so much for previous posts- very useful. Glycol plumbing is one of the last things I really need to get my head around for a brew pub fit out in the UK.

Because of space limitations, budget and the range of beers I would like to keep up, I am looking at installing as many as 5 2BBL and 4 smaller Half BBL (for a blended signature beer).

From previous experience, what do people think would be most cost effective way of doing this?

Noted from previous examples that using a 2 x pump unit from Foxx could work for 8 for c.$8,000. If I was to use a single larger chiller, would it be feasible (and potentially less expensive) to run multiple lines of that to run all FVs?

Apologies if this is a newb question.

Thanks a million,

Tom

Comment

How are you guys plumbing this out? Are you using ABS, PVC, Pex tubing?

Ive got a control panel and two solenoid valves from Brewmation. Anyone using the same setup w/ one of these cheaper chillers?

I'll be running two 3BBL fermenters to start. (Might be adding two 7BBL in the future...)

Great thread. Thanks!

Comment

We use reinforced pvc lines that are insulated and wrapped.

Using a unit from Foxx and then having it go to and external bath where you have your own pumps would provide a less expensive solution because with smaller fermenters on 3/4 hp unit can easily cool 3 fermenters. The pumps to do this are inexpensive too. It doesn't have enough cooling power to chill our wort though.

Comment

Anyone used chillers from Rapid Wholesale? This one looks decent....They also have a double pump 3/4hp one too.

Comment

Originally posted by SoMe Brewing View Post
                          Anyone used chillers from Rapid Wholesale? This one looks decent....They also have a double pump 3/4hp one too.

http://rapidswholesale.com/beer-supp...15-gallon.html
                          That looks like the same unit we got from Foxx, just a different controller setup on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoMe Brewing View Post

http://rapidswholesale.com/beer-supp...15-gallon.html
                            That's exactly what we currently use. One pump and four 3BBL fermenters. It handles the load without a sweat. It will even crash 3BBL from ferment to 35F in about 5-6 hours, which is too fast!

It takes a little retro-fitting, since the pump comes with 1/4" barbs and our fermenters have 3/4" glycol lines, but it was easy. Saved a lot of money for us too.

However, on our next expansion when we add multiple more 6BBL to the mix, we will have to replace it. This chiller at least got us going and has given us faithful service in the meantime.

Comment

Stones throw,

You are using solenoid's and a single controller? Any tricks or recommendations? Thanks

Comment

We've got a solenoid and Johnson control to run it for each fermenter.

Comment

Working...
                                X