pump issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pump issues

Recently, I had my centrifugal brewhouse pump (Top-Flo C114) start to leak slowly (drip, but not all the time). While running it at slow speeds (vfd) the flow of water would nearly stop. It happened during last two brew days while mashing in. All I would have to do was hit the stop and start to regain normal flow, but would only last for a few minutes before having to repeat the stop/start procedure. To further confuse, it did not happen at slow operation during run-off.

Today the leak was a steady stream, so I pulled it apart to tighten things back up. O-ring and gaskets look good. When I started the pump back up, there was no leaking. High speed operation seems fine, but now the slow speed is non-existent. Like mentioned above the pump is operated on a VFD control, and is in the first year of operation (45 brews), with all cip included. What is life expectancy on these pumps? I am ordering a pump kit asap, and I am also going to disassemble and try again. Any other ideas?
    dangerously good ales.

My guess is you just need a new seal kit. In your case it looks like an internal type of seal and I would suggest the viton type, better with heat and chemicals than buna. If you are using the pump for high temperatures like knock out, whirlpool and cip, then you are lucky to get 1 year out of a seal set. We always kept an extra set around. We recently replaced our pump with one that has an external seal as the manufacturer thought it would withstand the temperature better. Hope this helps.

Comment

Seal face is gone. It only needs a tiny 'nick' to leak. When you replace it, make sure you dip your hands in some sunlight/ivory liquid soapy water and handle the seal with soapy hands. The oil from your fingers can be very bad on the seal face.

Pax.

Liam
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I ordered two of the viton pump kits. I Will also use the soapy water trick, thanks for the tip.
        dangerously good ales.

Comment

Not so sure it's the seal. You said it wasn't leaking after you put it back together. In any case you should always have a spare seal kit handy. It sounds to me like either an electrical issue or a bearing problem. The bearings fail in pumps periodically and can be replaced by a your local electric motor technician for pretty cheap. It sounds like the bearings are getting "stiff" and won't turn under low power. Usually, though, when bearings begin to fail there is noise from the pump too.

Good luck.

Comment

Correct, no leaks after the pump was put back together. I believe the o-ring behind the carbon seal was not properly seated. I had been putting off the extra seal kit, didn't expect it to go in the first year. Live and learn, new kits will be here soon. I did run some CIP yesterday, no leaks, and the pump sounds normal. Still is not running great under 15 hz, I think I'll check the spacing behind the impeller today. Supposed to be 1/16th space behind the impeller and wall of the pump, if there is any more it may cause some flow problems at low speed. Any other thoughts? I will report back.
            dangerously good ales.

Comment

Working...
            X