SOP for used Wood Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOP for used Wood Barrel

So, I have 2 used bourbon barrels. One of them had a beer in it already. I kept it sealed out back until I built a rack on wheels for them. I am ready to fill them. What do I do? My best guess: Fill with water 48 hours or so, drain, purge and fill. Also, what's the best way to rack the beer in and out? Anyone willing to share their wisdom?

I would rehydrate them until they no longer leak. I would not put anything other than a sour in the beer used barrel. Purge your barrels... I use a pump with a vfd set on low rpm to empty them. I also blanket the barrel with co2 as I empty it.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Thanks. BTW, how long can a barrel sit dry (used) before it's trashed? These were outside (cold) for about 2 1/2 weeks. Didn't take the bung out until today. Smelled okay in there. Filled it with water. If it's not worth the risk at this point, I won't put the beer in there.

Comment

I remember someone cleaning wooden barrels with a product called 'barrel oxyfresh'. I have no idea what was in it, how clean it got the porous wood barrel, or how it worked.

Less than helpful, I know, but you may wish to google it.

Pax.

Liam
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

As with everything it depends on variables. The environment being key. Out in direct sun or a very dry environment I have seen the rings fall of in less than five days. We generally only store ours empty for a few weeks at most. I am just happy I am so close to a good source of fresh barrels.
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I use a product called Barolkleen. Soak in barrel for 3 days, hot water. Drain and flush 3 times with hot water, rinse with cold water, drain well, refill and enjoy!

Never had any contam issues and I've used my barrels up to 5 times.
            Joe Kearns
            Brewmaster
            The White Hag Brewing Co.
            Sligo, Ireland

Comment

Working...
            X