Max. size of a Direct Fire System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max. size of a Direct Fire System

Does anyone have any idea (or experience) on the max. size recommended for a direct fired brewhouse?? I am concerned about caramelization and enzymes inactivation.
    Thanx in advance for any input on this issue.
    Cheers!!!

There are very large brew kettles(Pilsner Urquell for example) that have direct fire. Just depends ,to a certain extent ,on wether or not it's designed for direct fire.

Comment

I have installed a lanemark tube direct fired burner which give me a heat transfer area of 3.2 sqm, compared with the bottom area of the kettle which is 1.5 sqm.

Very low caramellisation. Cleaning is not hard but I have to go down in the kettle to wash off the stuff.

Design & manufacture, supply & installation, commissioning and ongoing support, we fulfil process liquid, oven and air heating needs for all projects.

Cheers
      Bjorn Falkestrom

Comment

Thanks for the info Bjorn. How big was the system though?? Currently I am working with a 7 HL system and would like to consider bigger options (direct fire systems). Thanks in advance for your reply.
        Cheers!!

Comment

Bridgeport Brewery in Portland Oregon had, may still, a 40 BBL immersion tube kettle.

Comment

I have worked on a 23bbl direct fire and made dark to light beers. other than scrubbing the coils to remove trub between batches, I would say it was a positive experience. I would think that the larger batch size vs the smaller batch size would lend even less caramel reaction impact based on surface contact ratio.

Comment

I am currently using a 21 bbl direct-fired (atmospheric) kettle. It needs to be designed, built, and adjusted to get everything right. Gas is expensive and a lame boil will likely frustrate you and your beer. Do not assume one could do this by just sticking a burner under any tank. I believe the de Clerck book has a good section on firebox design.

Comment

The gas burner includes a gas train which has one max and one low effect step. The kettle gross cap. is 2300 litres. The efficiency is approx 92 % and max heat gives 150 kW. 150000 w/1,16 * 92%/2300 = 2300 litres rises 56 deg. celsius during one hour. The low effect step gives about 60 % of max effect. I have a 12 meter long immersion tube which is welded as a spiral. A bad thing is that I can not boil less than 1600 litres. But I have heared about other installations which have made the tube shorter and not that high.

Comment

Working...
                X