Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye bye TTB?

Obama considers huge shakeup in alcohol law, eliminating TTB

In an agency consolidation move, the TTB may be eliminated and it's duties replaced by the IRS (taxation) and FDA (just about everything else).

Oh dear lord... I don't have a lot of love for the TTB, HOWEVER, I can imagine the cock-up that would happen if their duties were turned over to the IRS and the FDA... I am having chills *shiver

Comment

This is, hands down, the worst thing that could possibly happen to the beer industry.

Gripe as you might about the bureaucratic machinations of TTB, it is not an adversary of the industry. FDA, on the other hand, is an activist agency that will try to micro-manage our industry (and poorly at that). You'll be seeing alot more them, too. TTB currently had 56 inspectors in the field. FDA has hundreds (thousands?). It is a much larger agency with a much larger budget. Ugh.

Comment

Ttb

Damn. This can't be a step in the right direction. I'm sure that there many facets of the TTB that could go for reform, but I don't think that increasing the bureaucracy through the auspices of the FDA is a great idea. Does the FDA think that it will have the ability to effectively regulate an industry with which it is unfamiliar?

Believe what you want about job creators, government intervention, etc, but this proposed change sounds ominous.

Bill

Comment

FDA Bullying

I'd suggest socking away over half your profits for inevitable legal actions. Maybe hire a legal team rather than brew beer. Either way, it's going to be a "Who you pay" game. Will they mandate using GMO barley licensed by Monsanto? We need a lobbying representative on the dole.
          Rich Nesheim
          Triplehorn Brewing Co.
          Woodinville, WA

Comment

I hadn't taken the thought process that far. The possibilities are disturbing, but right now this is all speculation. I would hope that if the TTB were swallowed by the FDA, the FDA would maintain at least the general policies and regulations of the TTB. I have no idea how this would play out, but it's something that the industry should at least be aware of.

Originally posted by Rich_Ness
            Will they mandate using GMO barley licensed by Monsanto? We need a lobbying representative on the dole.

Comment

Looks like its around for at least another year, from the same blog:

The TTB will survive in its current form for at least another year. While the Obama administration considered eliminating it and dividing it...
              ~Phil

Comment

Working...
              X