Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requirements for a Brewing Facility

Hello,

I have a simple question, which I am sure has much more complicated answer. Are there minimum facility requirements needed in the creation of a brewery in order obtain a license? (ie, drainage, ventilation, sprinkler/fire suppression, grain storage capabilities, etc..) This is specific to New York, but any input would be great.

I know that some (if not all of those) are just common sense to have for operating a brewery efficiently and effectively, but if they are NOT there, is that a deal breaker in terms of obtaining a license?

Thanks so much,
    Jason

Jason,

I believe that most of your questions have less to do with obtaining licensing and more to do with your local zoning and code enforcement authorities. I don't know specifically what is required in New York, but I would start with the local government and work my way up.

The first step that I would take after finding a suitable location would be to check with local zoning to make sure that brewing would be an allowed use. Then the local building inspectors would probably be next on the list. After that you could call your state licensing authorities and then TTB.

This is based on my experience and may be different in different areas.
    Good luck!
    Steve Sanderson
    RiverWalk Brewing Co.
    Newburyport, MA

Comment

Thanks!

Makes a lot of sense. I will start my inquiries at the local government level and go from there.

Much appreciated,
      Jason

Originally posted by almalkin
      Jason,

I believe that most of your questions have less to do with obtaining licensing and more to do with your local zoning and code enforcement authorities. I don't know specifically what is required in New York, but I would start with the local government and work my way up.

The first step that I would take after finding a suitable location would be to check with local zoning to make sure that brewing would be an allowed use. Then the local building inspectors would probably be next on the list. After that you could call your state licensing authorities and then TTB.

This is based on my experience and may be different in different areas.
      Good luck!

Comment

The Federal TTB wants to collect taxes, and their concern is how your brewery is set up to determine what and how much to tax.
        The State Alcohol Board is also concerned with collecting taxes, but also not serving minors, complying with state laws concerning wholesaling and retailing, and limits on what and how much you can brew.
        Local boards are concerned with zoning, community standards, not serving minors, complying with building codes, and how the brewery looks.
        There are small breweries that don't have anything formal that you mentioned.
        Mike Lanzarotta
        Commercial Real Estate Broker
        finding space for breweries in Southern California
        former owner and brewer, Crown City Brewery, Pasadena CA

Comment

Ahh, thanks for the breakdown, that really helps.

I have definitely seen some small breweries that didn't have some of those things, and I just wasn't sure where in the process those things came into play.

I really appreciate the responses.

J

Originally posted by Fullcourt
          The Federal TTB wants to collect taxes, and their concern is how your brewery is set up to determine what and how much to tax.
          The State Alcohol Board is also concerned with collecting taxes, but also not serving minors, complying with state laws concerning wholesaling and retailing, and limits on what and how much you can brew.
          Local boards are concerned with zoning, community standards, not serving minors, complying with building codes, and how the brewery looks.
          There are small breweries that don't have anything formal that you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
          X