Dry Hopping with High AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Hopping with High AA

Will a high alfa acid hop be utilized during dry hopping in a similar way as when boiled?

i.e. using 2 oz/bbl of columbus at 14% instead of 5 oz/bbl of cascade 5.6%

I am sure I should have figured this out while I was strictly a homebrewer......

Thanks
    Dave

I use strictly columbus in dry hopping my pale and I have found I dont need near as much as when I used mostly cascade.
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Dry hopping contributes hop oils to enhance aroma. You may want to look a Hopunion’s Hop Variety Characteristics to get more information on typical oil content of various hop varieties. http://www.hopunion.com/hopunion-variety-databook.pdf

Higher alpha does not translate to higher oil content. In the varieties that BigWilley mentioned, Columbus typically has a higher oil content than Cascade (1.5-2.0 ml/100g vs. 0.8-1.5 ml/100g) and does contribute more aroma. Galena, a common high alpha hop (12-14%) generally has a low oil content (0.9-1.2 ml/100g). Brewers Gold (8-10%) has a typical oil content of 2.0-2.4 ml/100.

Its up to you do determine what variety contributes the aroma you want but varieties with higher oil content will contribute more aroma than varieties with low oil content.

MoreBeer

Comment

AAU's

Morebeer had a good responce but for clarifiction I will add this:
        NO.
        What you are quoting is the AAU's of the hops- the bittering acids % by weight. As MB said, this isnt the oil content which is responcible for aroma. In dry hopping you can ignore the AAU's as the hops will give off intangible bitterness.
        For ex, I use 3 lbs in a large straining bag (2x3 from Crosby Baker)tide to the carb stone directly into my server for my IPA and 2.5lbs for my pale. Stuffing any more is a waste as I found dry, untilized, hops in the center when I packed more in. For larger batches (over 15bbl) use more bags.
        It really is a try & taste thing in the end.
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
        X