Apparel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparel

I'm opening a 10bbl brewery in Sebastopol, CA this year, and have just about everything in order. One thing that I haven't found a lot of consensus on is appropriate brewery apparel. I've seen first hand everything from shorts and flip-flops (seriously) to boiler suits you'd probably wear while cleaning up ground zero.

Odd, no single supplier seems to have brewery-specific apparel. You'd think that at least one workwear supplier would cater to this niche.

The main hazards are obviously heat-related, with some chemical considerations. I've seen galoshes almost universally - these don't breathe well (hence the waterproof) - and I can't seem to find them in widths (I have a EEEE width foot). Are coveralls best? Pants and work shirts? Aprons?

What do you use in your brewery? Is it resistant to boiling liquids / steam?

Cheers!
    Noah A. Bolmer

Barley and Hops Tavern
    Occidental, CA
    www.barleynhops.com

Warped Brewing Company
    Sebastopol, CA

hmmm...you might be overthinking this.

Shorts and a t-shirt are the standard workclothes here. We provide t-shirts and button work shirts to our employees, as well as boots...which are worn in the brewery areas. Anyone who needs convincing only needs to get one hot liquor hotfoot. In bottling and canning and warehouse I require people to wear closed toe footwear, preferably with a hard toe.

Generally, I find that pants are a hindrance, and they stay wet after they get wet. Another good idea is to provide rubberized long aprons.

Don't forget to lay in a good supply of safety gear...eye protection, hearing protection, gloves, etc. High vis vests if you have guys leaving the building in a forklift or to direct trucks into loading bays.

If you have an unheated facility, then coveralls might be ok for packaging or maintenance personnel. I'd be inclined to let your brewers wear whatever they want, provided it's not Birkenstocks and a pink fun fur bunny suit.

flipflops or bare feet have no place in a brewery. Even on days off.

Good luck!

Nat

Comment

Originally posted by Natrat
      hmmm...you might be overthinking this.

Shorts and a t-shirt are the standard workclothes here. We provide t-shirts and button work shirts to our employees, as well as boots...which are worn in the brewery areas. Anyone who needs convincing only needs to get one hot liquor hotfoot. In bottling and canning and warehouse I require people to wear closed toe footwear, preferably with a hard toe.

Generally, I find that pants are a hindrance, and they stay wet after they get wet. Another good idea is to provide rubberized long aprons.

Don't forget to lay in a good supply of safety gear...eye protection, hearing protection, gloves, etc. High vis vests if you have guys leaving the building in a forklift or to direct trucks into loading bays.

If you have an unheated facility, then coveralls might be ok for packaging or maintenance personnel. I'd be inclined to let your brewers wear whatever they want, provided it's not Birkenstocks and a pink fun fur bunny suit.

flipflops or bare feet have no place in a brewery. Even on days off.

Good luck!

Nat
      Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to put a dozen fuzzy bunny onesies on ebay. Should've checked the return policy.
      Noah A. Bolmer

Barley and Hops Tavern
      Occidental, CA
      www.barleynhops.com

Warped Brewing Company
      Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Working...
      X