Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Calling all GAI Filler/Capper users

Fill Levels 3003A Bier

Hey folks,

I was hoping to shed some light on a subject I've been curious about, or if it's been discussed maybe direct me to the thread page. What are the best methods to control fill levels? I suspect it mostly has to do with valve stem length, but there are other factors involved I'm sure. Here's a list of what settings I use:

Counter pressure: 3.2 bar
    Leveling pressure: 3.0 bar
    Opening spouts pressure: 3.0 bar
    Diaphragm pump: 2.0 bar
    Vacuum tank: -0.8 bar
    Brite tank head pressure: 10-12 psi

Bowl pressure during bottling usually sticks right around 2.5 bar.

I've been noticing our fill levels in 12oz bottles have been a little lower lately, but it's not because of foam over. We've been getting that nice crown of bubbles at the top before capping, but appears to be no beer loss, so I'm attributing this to one or more settings of pressure. Anyway, if you want to chime in with what may or may not be different from what I have listed, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Adam T.
    Zipline Brewing Co.
    Lincoln, NE

Fill levels should be dependent on the fill tube length. When the machine hits the leveling cam, the fill tube connects to the inside of the bowl, and the leveling pressure pushes the beer in the bottle back into the bowl until it hits the bottom of the fill tube. If everything else is good, this should be the only thing determining fill level.

We have to custom-cut our fill tubes to match our 12 oz Heritage bottles. If you have to do this, get the cut ends polished as well as possible to avoid foaming problems. And check the fill tubes for tightness--we once lost one in a bottle and had to open a few dozen cases before we found it!
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Dissolved Oxygen

Hey folks, me again.

I was hoping to get some insight into why I'm getting around a 60-80 ppb jump in our Dissolved Oxygen readings. They're as low as 5 ppb immediately before the product infeed valve, and as high as 90 ppb when we check the DO reading in the bottles post-crowning. Is this a matter of changing all seals in each of the fill head valves? Or could it be more indicative of some seals and o-rings more internal that I may not be aware of? I did just change the vacuum o-rings directly under the bowl where the vacuum tube connects because it wasn't pulling the requisite -.8 bar. While this has improved fill consistency, it did not help with the DO issue.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Adam T.
    Zipline Brewing Co.
    Lincoln, NE

Fun story!

We called Prospero for some parts and someone in the background there yells "Which machine do they have?!?"

"They got The Beater!"

sadface n junk
    eatdrinkandbemerry
    Jon Hill, Brewer
    Atlantic Brewing Co
    jon at atlanticbrewing dot com

Headaches with GAI Prospero = Useless

Hi All.

I'm Pat i work at Brew DR Kombucha in Tualitin Oregon. We own a GAI FM BIER 5031. Very temperamental machine.

In the couple of months I've been on board as maintenance tech I had the rinser apart to try solve rinse fails ultimately just cleaning and replacing seals, I've pulled the capper apart to solve bottles lifting with the head and tripping sensors. I now face the filler randomly having no fills on different stations and also holding onto bottles and carrying to the station ready to pick up a new bottle which knocks both into the center of the filler and the pedastools crush the bottles inside.

Like i said very temperamental. I've noticed alot of comments revolving around the 3000 series to which we own one of those as well at our headquarters in SE PDX. I am trying to apply some of the tips I have learned here to both.

What I would like to know is if anyone has a guide to what they do in regards to scheduled maintenance. How many months/hours between shutdowns. By shutdowns I saying stop the machine and take it apart for new seals, o rings, the works. Is there any must dos while I have the machine apart? Rough estimates of seals or o rings or parts we should have on hand. (I have read Timm Turrentines guide on page six of this thread which was helpful thanks Timm for your countless imput)

We bottle everyday from 5am to midnight so the machine is getting hammered and i want to be proactive not reactive. We are very new and we aren't trying to invent the wheel so why not hit up the guys who've been there done that.

If anyone is willing to host me for a day at their brewery so I can come and meet you and see exactly what your talking about and pick your brains on how you operate I would be even more appreciative. Our VP was very receptive to this idea and we make Kombucha not beer so dont worry I wont steal your secrets haha. Id even bring some cases of Kombucha for your staff to try and some to take home.

If you want to reach out to me I can be contacted here or at pat@brewdrkombucha.com

Thanks for the read.

Pat Coles
    Maintenance Tech
    Brew Dr Kombucha
    Portland Oregon
    brewdrkombucha.com

Changing label backing colors?

Hey all. We usually run BOPP labels on a white backing. For a limited edition run of fancy labels, we went over to a cream laid stock and it is on a brown backing. The labeler (6080E) does not like this and keeps on throwing an error on station 2, size and place. It'll let us size it, but the placing function won't work. It also likes to say roll breakage when it isn't broken. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,
    Jazz Aldrich
    Great Basin Brewing Co.

This is a thread about a GAI bottling machine.

I have no idea what kind of labeler you're using. 6080 means nothing to me without a brand.

Maybe start a new thread, and be specific?
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by TGTimm View Post
    This is a thread about a GAI bottling machine.

I have no idea what kind of labeler you're using. 6080 means nothing to me without a brand.

Maybe start a new thread, and be specific?
    GAI labeler, 6080E, bought as a package from Prospero with our filler, a GAI 5003A Bier. Was hoping someone else would have the same combination, as it seems to be the standard labeler if you buy a packaged setup from Prospero.
    Last edited by reno-jazz; Yesterday at 11:54 AM.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213