Olive Oil instead of Oxygenation ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olive Oil instead of Oxygenation ???

Has anyone other than New Belgium had any experience with adding Olive Oil to wort instead of oxygenating it ?? If so, what were your results/opinions. Thanks

There are other threads on this subject, search for them, plenty of useful info.

Comment

I believe Olive is spelled wrong in the origional (and very informative) thread so it might be difficult to search for.

el

Comment

Perhaps a search on Oil might be productive?

Well, what do you know !!

Comment

check this out.

This study was extremely helpful. New belgium in Coloroado did some work with CSU and heres what they found. We tried it out. Works great!!

Comment

whoops

I didn't see "anyone other then new belgium"

We tried it at hawaii nui brewing in Hilo. It took a longer to take off (2 1/2 days) but overall attenuation was good and we didn't notice any signifigant off flavors in the beer.

FYI we went back to oxygen simply because we're a production brewery with limited tank space and the extra time just didn't work for us. We would use 1/2 cup per 30lbs of yeast we harvested.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Seems like tiny amount of olive oil

Are those numbers really that low? Looking at my calculations, for a 10bbl batch with a 1.050 sg, you'd want close to 11,000 billion yeast cells and they say to use 1mg of olive oil/ 67 billion yeast cells. That would be about 164mg (.164g) of olive oil for a 10bbl batch. I also looked up the weight of olive oil and it came up with about 4.5g/tsp. So for a 10bbl batch, would you really only use .036 tsp?? How in the hell do you even measure that small of an amount or are my numbers all jacked up? I also converted the olive oil to ml and it came out to about 0.18ml. I guess I could always get a 1ml pipette and use that but it seems like a tiny amount of olive oil compared to the batch size.
              Kaskaskia Brewing Company

Comment

Originally posted by KaskaskiaBrew
                Are those numbers really that low? Looking at my calculations, for a 10bbl batch with a 1.050 sg, you'd want close to 11,000 billion yeast cells and they say to use 1mg of olive oil/ 67 billion yeast cells. That would be about 164mg (.164g) of olive oil for a 10bbl batch. I also looked up the weight of olive oil and it came up with about 4.5g/tsp. So for a 10bbl batch, would you really only use .036 tsp?? How in the hell do you even measure that small of an amount or are my numbers all jacked up? I also converted the olive oil to ml and it came out to about 0.18ml. I guess I could always get a 1ml pipette and use that but it seems like a tiny amount of olive oil compared to the batch size.
                Yes I believe those numbers are right. I've heard that for homebrew batches you basically just want to dip a needle in oil, let it drip off any excess oil and then dip the needle in the wort, and even then the amount of oil is way more than you need. Any significant amount of oil in your wort will destroy head retention.

Comment

Originally posted by BrewHilo87
                  I didn't see "anyone other then new belgium"

We tried it at hawaii nui brewing in Hilo. It took a longer to take off (2 1/2 days) but overall attenuation was good and we didn't notice any signifigant off flavors in the beer.

FYI we went back to oxygen simply because we're a production brewery with limited tank space and the extra time just didn't work for us. We would use 1/2 cup per 30lbs of yeast we harvested.

Hope this helps.
                  You used 1/2 a cup of oil???? I think it is no small miracle that you actually got beer as the end product instead of barley cookies or something of that nature, never mind the 2 1/2 day wait.

Comment

The beer was still delicious

The half cup of oil went into a 90bbl batch of brown ale. Turned out awesome aside from the wait

Comment

Originally posted by BrewHilo87
                      The half cup of oil went into a 90bbl batch of brown ale. Turned out awesome aside from the wait
                      Huh, well that is interesting to now that even such a large amount still didnĀ“t really affect the beer. I think you used over 100 times the required amount!

Comment

Working...
                      X