Thread: stretched gaskets

stretched gaskets

Anyone else have trouble with their 1.5 inch BUNA gaskets stretching over time? They become unusable thanks to the stretching well before there are any signs of aging. Would love to get more than 6 months out of them before they get trashed....
    Cheers
    Jay Stoyanoff
    Brewmaster
    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
    Plattsburgh, NY

conditions?

How are you storing them when not in use. We had that problme in spades a few yours ago when we tried switching from iodophor to Star-San in our perts buckets.
    Steve Bradt
    Free State Brewing Co.
    Lawrence, KS

Jay- that's been happening to me. Especially with my black Buna gaskets.

Steve are you advocating keeping them in Iodophor? or Star-san?

I keep mine in Iodophor (as I have for 10 years) but I've only had this problem in the last 1 1/2 years. FYI I purchased these gaskets from GW Kent whereas in the past I bought them from JV Northwest, I don't know if that matters at all...
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Beer Guy
    Crossroads Brewing
    Athens, NY

Iopdaphor

Hutch,

I went back to iodaphor for my buckets. Star-San really eats up the rubber and causes it to swell. I don't keep particular track of exactly how long our gaskets last and sometimes one or two will get swollen to the point of not being useful but by and large they seem to hold up pretty well
    Steve Bradt
    Free State Brewing Co.
    Lawrence, KS

Go with silicone, they cost more but the last and don't really stretch all that much at least not enough to make a difference.

phos might be what's doing it...

I store my gaskets and parts in iodaphor but I do soak them in 3% caustic first then 2% FG phos...sometimes I'm not quick about getting them out of the phos. I bet that's what's doing it. I also get mine from GW Kent but have always. I'll try moving them along quickly and see what that does. I've thought about trying other materials but the cost means they would have to last 3 times longer or more. I guess an experiment is in order to see if that might be the way to go. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Cheers
    Jay Stoyanoff
    Brewmaster
    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
    Plattsburgh, NY

PAA is also hard on Buna-n
    Operations Director, Tin Roof BC
    ted@tinroofbeer.com
    "Your results may vary"

Buna Clamp Gaskets

I only recommend using buna if you want a disposable product. You should not expect to get more than a couple of repeated uses from this material. It is a general purpose rubber that is more suited to the dairy industry because of its oil resistent properties. High temperature water, caustics, and cleaners will degrade the rubber properties of buna, as well as ozone & UV. The material of choice for your brewery should be EPDM, it is designed to withstand all of these and a well made material will take up to 300F steam. I am happy to take any questions, the forum is best because most of this is good general information, but you can email me if you have more specific questions.
    Thanks,
    Dwight
    dwight@brewerygaskets.com

going with EPDM

Thanks for the info Dwight. Just ordered some EPDM gaskets from you. Makes sense...all of my valve seats are EPDM so why not the clamp gaskets...and your prices are much more competitive than GW (which was my main reason for being reluctant to change).
    Cheers
    Jay Stoyanoff
    Brewmaster
    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
    Plattsburgh, NY