Point of Sale system for a brewery taproom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point of Sale system for a brewery taproom

Any pointers on an affordable POS system for a brewery taproom/gift shop?

Is it even worth setting something up?

Oh, would I love to have the taproom be cash only, but I don't think I could get by without accepting credit cards, which got me thinking about some sort of system to track purchases as well.

Suggestions?

ipad with touch bistro
    cheap an easy
    Gerard
    Forest and Main Brewing Company

Comment

We use Quickbook POS

We use Quickbook POS...but are not huge fans of it...
      There are lots of bugs in the newest version .. v10 I think...and it turds all over your accounting system. Big fans of Quickbooks...just not their POS.

Cheers
      Cape Cod Beer

Comment

Square

Sell anywhere. Diversify revenue streams. Streamline operations. Manage your staff. Get paid faster. Sign up for Square today.

Super easy, less fee than most CC systems. Works with any smartphone.

-b

Comment

Here's another one I researched that supports ipad/iphone/ipod touch:

Seems really cool but I've not tried it. Does square have full POS services, I thought it was more just a payment system, but I've not yet really dug into it.
          ~Phil

Comment

Yeah. I haven't used it but their free "Register" app is supposed to take the place of a register: https://squareup.com/register

Comment

We use square and really like it. It's great for tracking data since all of the sales can be imported into excel.
              Chris Enegren
              www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainEBC
                We use square and really like it. It's great for tracking data since all of the sales can be imported into excel.
                Do you use the full register app? It looks good, but that would mean I'd have to take the dive into apple products...

Comment

We use the full register app. You would have to buy an iPad, but the little card reader and app is free.

I think its worth it. We give some pretty in-depth brewery tours and it always seems like people are way more amazed that an Ipad has a card reader on it than all of the mechanical goodies and technology in the brewery.

If you have a smartphone, you can also plug the square into that if you need to run cards outside of the brewery and don't want to take the ipad.

I also like being able to track sales on my phone if i'm away from the brewery.
                  Chris Enegren
                  www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

By the way, an apple iPad is a LOT cheaper than most POS systems, they're like thousands of dollars, not hundreds. FYI.
                    ~Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Pompeiisneaks
                      By the way, an apple iPad is a LOT cheaper than most POS systems, they're like thousands of dollars, not hundreds. FYI.
                      Bingo. And there's usually an associated monthly fee to consider.

I have to say I'm impressed by the Square app but still have fears of somebody running off with an iPhone or iPad when you need to give it to them to sign it.
                      Kevin Shertz
                      Chester River Brewing Company
                      Chestertown, MD

Comment

We are going with a HarborTouch system, dependant on whether their loyalty portion programming will work with our loyalty program. We based the decision on several factors. Is it the cheapest, probably not. It it works for us on several levels. I now of a quick serve in my town that uses it and they love it.

I would at least review their website and go from there. The advice about the iPad is also very good.
                        Little Deep Brewing Company
                        Minot, North Dakota
                        www.littledeepbrewing.com

Comment

We're currently using Lightspeed but its centered on a retail environment. We're looking for a new POS system that will bridge retail and restaurant operations and have a few good options but at numerous budget levels. Micros is the most complete for our needs but for 3 terminals we're looking at $20k. Aloha is second in terms of features but double the price.

For a simple tasting room you might check out SalesVu, its similar to Square but with lower rates, retail and restaurant functions.
                          Owner
                          Grind Modern Burger
                          PostModern Brewers
                          Boise, ID

Comment

We use EMS and they have been incredible. Great rates but absolutely fantastic service. When we need wireless machines for events off site I ask and they overnight them to us. If you'd like a contact DM me and I'd be happy to make a intro.
                            Owner
                            Grind Modern Burger
                            PostModern Brewers
                            Boise, ID

Comment

I would go with an iPad based concept. smooth and inexpensive.

If it lacks the features you need, which is possible, depending on the simplicity of your model, Adelo is a fairly powerful POS system. And it is cheap.(er than most restaurant systems)

I own a restaurant as well, and having used Adelo, we "upgraded" to a Radiant system. The hardware and service is better, but the Adelo software was actually a better product for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X