Production Manager/Lead Brewer in Portland, OR
Breakside Brewery is looking for a creative, experienced and hard working Production Manager/Lead Brewer.
Breakside is an award-winning brewpub in Portland, Oregon. We currently produce beer out of our small pub brewery and are expanding this fall to a 30 bbl brewhouse with initial cellaring capacity of 10,000 barrels and growth potential to 25-30,00 bbls. This is a unique opportunity to get on board at the ground level with a growing, well regarded brewery in the greatest beer city in the world. The ideal candidate will join our team of brewers to help grow Breakside into a successful regional brand while also getting to flex her or his creative muscles in our pub facility.
This position will have some administrative elements; however, it is fundamentally production focused. The ideal candidate will be able to split his/her time between managerial responsibilities (scheduling, orders, inventory management) and routine brewing and cellaring work.
Start date for this position is August 15, 2012.
* Overseeing wort production, fermentation, and packaging at a new 30 barrel brewhouse
* Selecting and ordering raw materials
* Interfacing with distributors and vendors; overseeing fulfillment of orders
* Scaling recipes to production volumes
* Developing and implementing rigorous sanitation procedures for a new brewery
* Managing production and fermentation cycles to ensure timely fulfillment of orders
* Ensuring yeast health
* Troubleshooting mechanical issues
* Public tours, education, tastings, and interaction with brewery guests
* Minimum 4 years professional experience in a production brewery with at least 20 bbl brew length. Experience as a lead brewer or production manager preferred.
* Extensive knowledge of packaging systems, both kegging and bottling. Canning knowledge preferred.
* Inventory management experience.
* Good computer and software skills.
* Mechanical, troubleshooting and repairs aptitude.
* Flexible availability, including some weekend days.
* Ability to take direction and accept constructive criticism.
* Strong ability to multi-task.
* A passion for craft beer, with a dedication to our core values and beliefs.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
Physical Requirements Include:
* Ability to lift 60 pounds and move 165 pounds safely.
* Ability to work in a wet environment with humidity, steam, and heat.
* Ability to bend, twist, kneel, climb stairs often.
* Manual dexterity.
* Endurance to work long shifts when needed.
Breakside will offer a competitive benefits package including health insurance and paid vacation.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter with resume and compensation requirements to Ben Edmunds (email@example.com) with "BREAKSIDE PRODUCTION MANAGER" in the subject line.