Dry hopping in BBT-PRV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry hopping in BBT-PRV

I was curious how long it takes most of you to get pellets to settle out in a bright tank if you drop them through the PRV. The next batch I will be dry hopping a better way, but this batch needs some more hop flavor/aroma. Its already in the Bright tank so the PRV is the only option. At 33º how long do you think it will take to drop in a 4.5BBL tank w/stand pipe? Thanks guys.

What about using a hop bag? Sanitize it and stuff it in through the PRV being careful to keep the top out. Fill it with pelletized hops through the PRV. Then tie it closed and use a piece of sanitized fishing line to anchor it to the CIP arm or something. The fishing line is thin enough that you'll be able to reattach your PRV and get a good seal.

Weighing down the bag a little bit with some small stainless steel parts isn't a bad idea. They just have to be small enough to fit through the PRV opening and into the bag.

Just a thought.
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I have already tried that, the PRV has a very small hole and by the time you cram the nylon bag in there there is only room to shove 1 pellet at a time through. Don't have an entire afternoon to do that.

Edit-Nevermind I was looking at the fermentation PRV's they are tiny. New brewer here not all that familiar with the equipment here. Thanks for the tip!
      Last edited by Westcoastrocks; 04-10-2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X