What you are saying makes no sense.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pompeiisneaks
    roc-craven, the extra U is british spelling. I think we even may have done it that way a long time ago, but somewhere we dropped it. they also do other odd things like pronounce aluminum al you min eeee um.
    Actually the element is commonly spelled Aluminium in every English speaking country in the world outside the USA and Canada. It was origianally given the same suffix as other elements such as Cesium, Sodium, etc. and somewhere down the track it became acceptable for periodic tables and chemistry publications to accept either spelling. I was told by a drunken aussie (is there another kind?) that the element was actually incorrectly spelled by a major aluminum foil producer and it became an 'americanism' from then on. As for colour and harbour, well, you say tomato and I say salsa.
    Eric O'Connor

Co-founder/Brewmaster
    Thorn Street Brewery
    North Park, San Diego, CA

Comment

I think the drunken Aussie was incorrect. This spelling (and pronunciation) far predates aluminum foil. Sir Humphry Davy, a Brit, was the one who named this element ALUMINUM. The Brits didn't quite like the departure from the other similar elements and added the I to conform to its neighbors on the periodic table. So we can comfortably blame the Brits for this "confusion". BTW, good reading: The Disappearing Spoon, and Periodic Tales. Now, what were we talking about....?
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Well...

Kolsch is made in Koln, a city that was named after it's beer. Not sure that means anything...

I can't prove it but my friends there insist it is true.

Do as the Cologners do
        Last edited by obvance; 05-13-2012, 05:09 AM.

Comment

You know...

I couldn't care less but that's a whole nother thing.

I really need to bitch slap the next person I hear saying either one of those.

Comment

Also - Lets avoid the (over) use of "Needless to say....... (think about it)!

Comment

Working...
            X