Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogged HX + aftermath

Hello All,

So I used a shedload of fuggles to bitter a batch and my HX clogged. I had to move hot wort into the fermenter and knock it down overnight. Unfortunately I pitched the yeast before it filled, as usual.

Now, the fermenter is at 131F and will likely be down to pitching temps in the morning. This side of the rotten cold break, I'm hoping all the yeast in solution die and fall out.

Should I try to harvest the bottom of the tank in the morning (dead (hopefully) yeast, hops gunk, etc.) before re-pitching through a top port?

Live and learn. Servicing the HX tomorrow. Suggestions on how to save the 7 BBLs in the fermenter?

Thanks,

John
    John Bleichert
    Water Street Brewing Co.
    Binghamton, NY

Yeast are most likely dead after all that. I say dump a bit off the bottom (the new yeast might not perform well after they see how you treated their relatives) re-pitch and oxygenate.

Comment

I was unable to re-oxygenate but I did pitch a large, healthy and active yeast culture the next morning once the FV dropped to 68F. A few short hours later fermentation had started and it's been roaring away steadily.

Hopefully all is well. Will let you know in a few days...

John
      John Bleichert
      Water Street Brewing Co.
      Binghamton, NY

Comment

I've clogged our HX several times. If you have an empty tank fill it with 10-15 gallons of hot acid and pump backwards through the HX and dump to the drain. Fixed in less than 15 minutes every time. Got full flow when we started transferring again, no negative effects to the beer since you maintain sterile conditions through the HX. Just make sure to flush the first gallon or two of chilled wort before you resume filling the tank.
        Last edited by CopperKettle; 04-17-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Followup. The Heat exchanger clean-up was both successful and informative. Well worth the time.

Thanks!

John
          John Bleichert
          Water Street Brewing Co.
          Binghamton, NY

Comment

Working...
          X