Crown sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown sizing

Picked up some beautiful 750 ml bottles that take 26 mm crowns. The crowns go on the bottles and look like a good fit but when we pasteurize the crowns shoot off like rockets. Anybody have a suggestion for finding the right crowns for these bottles? Incidentally, we don't have this problem with our 330 ml bottles and I checked with the bottle manufacturer thinking that maybe they sell crowns that are a more precise fit but that went nowhere.

Thanks guys.

Cricket...cricket

Guys - these are really sexy bottles that I'd love to use - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Not sure the crowns are the problem. We bottled in a 750ml cork finished bottle that looked like it would take a crown...but they sell the same style in a different bottle that is cappable... Bottom Line...buy a corker....it's likely yours are cork finish bottles... ???

Comment

Crowns

Its a bottle that accepts both crowns and corks. The beer is carbonated before bottling so a cork would not be an acceptable option.

Comment

Bottle maufacturer

The bottle manufacturer is Wiegand Glas from Germany (I believe).

Somebody mentioned to me that there are 26 mm caps that are a bit taller on the sides which should give a more thorough closure. Another supplier here gave me 26 mm Champagne crowns (yes crowns) to try but haven't gotten to it.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Dancing Camel,

we use that bottle. We are using cork and cages, but I have run them through my crowner with Astir crowns, and they seem to hold really well! What bottles do you normally crown? Perhaps the issue is with the crowning profile in your machine rather than the crown itself?

Nat

Comment

Astir Caps

Hi Frank - thanks for the response. WE still haven't found a solution. Would be happy to try. How can I reach you?

David

Comment

I think that Natrat may be on to something when questioning the capping machine. What kind of capper are you using? How do the caps look before pasteurization?

Comment

Capper

Everything is still unfortunately done by hand. I would have agreed with you but for the fact that our 330's don't have this problem at all. Ever.

Comment

Are we talking pneumatic or muscle powered bench capper? Have you changed the bell in the capper lately? New cap supplier?

Comment

Working...
                    X