Thread: Filtering Wheat Beer

Filtering Wheat Beer

Happy New Year, ProBrewers!
    I brewed up an American wheat hybrid and pushed it through my plate and plate (40x40) filter using 700 Seitz pads. I lost track how many times I had to backflush, changed the pads two-and-a-half times, too many hours on this filter (10 bbls). What went wrong? I'm looking for any advice on filtering wheat beers.

As always, when you're in Polson, Montana, stop by the brewery and I'll buy you a beer.

Prost!

Crystal Weiss

Wheatís have allot of protein as well as a yeast with low flocculation. I would use first, a extra week or two of cold conditioning combined with the use of isinglass (settle out yeast)and zero gel (protein removal). Also add your kettle finings (Irish moss) as usual, a step to skip when making hefe'. All these products are available from Crosby&Baker. just follow manufactures recommended use.
    BTW- If I remember, S-700 = 7 micron so thatís a good pad choice.
    Operations Director, Tin Roof BC
    ted@tinroofbeer.com
    "Your results may vary"

How about not filtering it? It is a wheat beer after all, so the style certainly permits it. Especially if you're only serving it on premises.

Cheers,
    S

Yep, as has been mentioned, wheat beer has a lot of protein haze (often more reason for the cloudiness in an unfiltered wheat beer than the yeast!). Chill the heck out of it, keep it cold, let it settle, use something like polyclar....or serve it unfiltered.

Cheers, Tim

Thanks gang for the sound advice. Next time I'll either chill for a week or just take the easy way out and make a true hefe!