promash colour/color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• promash colour/color

Trying to formulate the brew for tomorrows first brew session.
    I'm getting a differant colour than the consultant who is using the normal calculation i.e so much grain to so much water gives that colour .
    I'm using promash and getting a totally differant colour.
    He's getting 30 EBC from 1% chocolate and I have to enter 3% to get the same EBC.
    We both have the same entered Grain EBC
    Ideas please .Brew day tomorrow so prompt returns please
    Sorry about the spelling

Is it a case of SRM vs. EBC? The promash program I have uses SRM. There's a multiplier factor here (I believe the EBC #'s should be higher for the same SRM) but I can't remember what it is.

I just started using promash, and my first all promash formula has turned out to be exactly what it was supposed to be colour wise. I made a 1.1% addition of Carafa Special for an ordinary Bitter which has turned out quite tasty.

You should post your question here, as the program's designer checks the boards regularly and is quick with answers:

If all else fails, trust your gut, as it is a beer gut afterall.

Dave

Comment

colour/color

Thanks for the reply Dave and tell me is my beer gut that big that you can see it from Saskatchewen.
      The brewery is form Canada .......Specific???????????
      HeY. Mr Donovan I've moved on from using your wonderful program for homebrew at 60 ltr To probrewer at 50 Hl
      Kelvin

Comment

Hey, maltman, please let us know the outcome (i.e. was promash right?)...

Comment

Hi,

For 50HL, I have just done some "old fashioned" calcs on a 12P wort with 1% chocolate at 800EBC colour and I have come up with ~23 EBC. Not knowing what your are actually brewing (ie. are there other specialty malts in the grist like a bit of crystal, or is your chocolate darker?), or what your brew system is like, I would think that the 1% is a fairly close estimate.

If you are unsure about going with your consultant's or your calcs, I would perhaps compromise and go in the middle (2%). I think you will end up on the dark side (based on my calcs), but may just be a bit light (easier to darken a lighter brew with suga or sinamar than lighten a darker brew). Don't know if this helps.

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

OK, so you've peaked all of our interest now, so we'll be waiting to hear how it goes.

Did I mention the praries are flat, and you can see for kilometers (or miles if you're an american reading this).

Yes, I'm brewing on a Specific Mechanical System

Dave

Comment

Colour /color

Good input thanks .
              Went with the consultants program and it looks ok .Promash 9kg consultant 3kg so quite a differance.I think the consultants colour is accurate
              Hello Mr Donovan I'm an old fuddy duddy that is not computer literate so I'm not knocking your program 'I would like your input though.
              Im informed that the consultant hangs in here .Dont know his handle
              Anyone want to know the disasters?

Comment

Are you really brewing 5000 litres for your first brew ? I didn't think Merthyr was big enough to cope with a micro this big. Watch out Brains !!

Let us know how you got on

Cheers
                dick

Comment

colour/color

First brew was 35hl missed the temp by a few degrees and over sparged due to a stuck eye glass.Fermenting away like mad .
                  Second brew was a full 50hl and total disaster the crusher passed a stone more like a rock knocking the rollers appart so mashed in with uncrushed grain .Dumped as no chance of reaching gravity.
                  Just finished third brew and good brew session 50 hl .
                  Only two fermenters so thats it for a few days
                  Colour good on first and third brews .

Comment

colour

Eye glass =sight glass

Comment

sight glass

I'm in the habit of taking the hose and clearing out my mash tun sight tubes each batch after mash in. They tend to get clogged w/ grain and give false readings, especialy the one at the level of the bottom of grain bed.
                      Sounds like a flowmeater for mash in/ sparge water is needed too.
                      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
                      X