Weird mash-in mistake - unmilled grain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird mash-in mistake - unmilled grain

So, somewhere between the mill and the mash tun, my grain bill picked up an extra bucket of unmilled Ashburn Mild. It seems it was in a bin that the mill fed into. I can't imagine I pulled much sugar out of it, but I wonder if I'm going to pick up more non-fermentables. Any thoughts? (the extra was about 15% of what ended up being the total grain bill)

Matt
    -Matt Geary
    PUBLIC Brewing Co
    Kenosha, WI

Things about me you didn't know? Well, English is my second language. Growing up in my house, we spoke Sarcasm. Fluently.

I doubt you will get anything from it at all, no worries.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning that way, too. It's just something I'd never considered a possibility until I saw someone cleaning out a bin that was labeled for storage... Oh well. Thats what inaugural batches are for right - finding the kinks that need to be worked out. I figure if that's the worst thing that happened, we're doing pretty well!
      -Matt Geary
      PUBLIC Brewing Co
      Kenosha, WI

Things about me you didn't know? Well, English is my second language. Growing up in my house, we spoke Sarcasm. Fluently.

Comment

Unconverted starch carryover would be my concern.

Have you tried an iodine check of your wort/ferment?

Pax.

Liam
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

You may also get some extra tannins and polyphenols from the husk of your unmilled grain.

Comment

Originally posted by BelgianBrews
            You may also get some extra tannins and polyphenols from the husk of your unmilled grain.
            Wouldn't that husk be in the mash had the grain been milled?

And I don't know that you would get any extraction from the unmilled malts at all, but I would presume that if you did; there would have been enough diastatic enzyme to take care of any conversion of starches you may have extracted.
            Last edited by Scott M; 07-09-2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Scott M]Wouldn't that husk be in the mash had the grain been milled?

Yes, that husk would be in the mash had the grain been milled. But there was 15% EXTRA grain added that was not milled. Therefore, there was 15% more husk in the mash than planned, and as such a higher level of tannins and polyphenols.

Comment

I must have read over that in the original post. Hmmmm, getting old.....

So much for my attention to detail....
                Last edited by Scott M; 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X