4 head bottle filler for $275

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long of a beer supply line?

I am almost finished with a 3-head filler based on the various designs on this thread. 3/8" beer line will go into a manifold, 1/4" from the manifold to the fillers. How long of a beer line is too long to run at 15psi head pressure on the source brite? My farthest BT is about 40' away. Ideally, I'd like to be able to bottle from every tank in my cooler. Can anyone see problems pushing from the brite to the filler manifold at that length, in that size line?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Comment

• I'd go 1/2inch to the manifold and 3/8inch to each filler. These things are finicky as it is, I don't like constricting the flow if I can help it.

mtn

Comment

• I have built several similar to yours for the nano I have been helping get going and and another local nano that saw the original work. I am in the process of building at least 1 more, possibly 2 and still have several questions.(BTW, I love to tinker and build them for parts cost and beer) I still haven't found a reliable method to balance beer flow to the 4 heads. Sometimes I only get 3 heads working properly and 1 takes forever. I know this is because of liquid flow dynamics, the whole path of least
        resistance thing. I have tried different line sizes and it doesn't seem to matter. I feed the 4 outlet manifold with a 1/2 line from a 5bbl brite. I have tried several different manifolds, 1 specifically meant for beer and a SS radiant heat manifold, the latter seems to work best but still not perfect. How did you over come this? I have a friend that had one of the $1800. morebeer 4 head fillers and he had a nightmare and found it unworkable. As to the filler heads that you use, I have found experience that even with the hand held counter pressure filler, the 3 way valves leak like sieves and don't really last that long so I went with 2 SS mini ball valves.

I don't have any good pics at the moment, but the other thing I did different was I mounted my heads on a separate piece of PVC board that can slide up or down to allow for different bottle sizes. I modified it on the second one so all I have to do is loosen and slide the lower tee fitting with the pressure relief valve to match the bottle size.

I will have to thank you for the video, it is what I used to show proof of concept and worked from there. I would appreciate any advice that people have to offer. Right now I am trying to source some inexpensive flow control valves for balancing the beer feed. I will post pics when I get some.

Comment

• Think it's your beer line....

1/2" vinyl tubing for 4 filler heads is too restrictive IMO. Jack it up a notch with larger braided tubing. I use 3/4" ID braided clear PVC hose from GW Kent. No issues. Best of luck!
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyHannas View Post
            Has anyone had any luck swapping out the PRV/bleed valves on the MoreBeer fillers?
            I like the look of this one that someone posted, but worry that the range is too large and I'll spend too much time fiddling with it
            https://www.amazon.com/Control-Devic.../dp/B007GDY3CU
            These valves work just fine, I have 2 - 4 head units running with these and am building a 4th. Never had any issues and many many cases have been filled with these, usually 30 - 60 cases at a time.

Comment

• redoing morebeer thing

I am going to rebuild the morebeer thing, the PRV just feels cheap thinking mcmaster car like you suggest... If I replace everything, what would you guys recommend for ALL the other hardware?

Best
              Todd

Originally posted by BlackH2O View Post
              These valves work just fine, I have 2 - 4 head units running with these and am building a 4th. Never had any issues and many many cases have been filled with these, usually 30 - 60 cases at a time.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyHannas View Post
                I just swapped one of these in to one head on our 6 head filler and it seems to work perfectly thus far. The lock nut is great as it keeps the set relief point from wandering too much.
                McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

The other 5 heads still have the PRV from MoreBeer so they still need some tweaking to balance the whole system but I'm ordering more of these today to replace all of them which will hopefully resolve this. The body is brass which I am sure will degrade over time, but at $7.50 each, i don't mind replacing them occasionally.
                One year later with these brass relief valves and I definitely recommend them. I have cleaned them a couple times with Acid #5 and they look good as new. The sealing surface inside is smaller than the factory PRVs and therefor more prone to getting debris in there which will cause your bottle to not pressurize and then fill too fast and foamy. It's easy enough to clear it out, but it does kill the pace. I try to only bottle filtered cider now because of this. If I am bottling unfiltered, I try to just bottle the middle of the tank and save the rest for kegs.

Comment

• 5 years later

Hey folks, just thought I'd chime in with an update to my rendition of this filler. We ran about 700,000 bottles through it over the last five years with very few issues, but a couple.

The morebeer heads need replacing every ~6 months.

We don't use the heads with gauges (deluxe). Theyre not worthwhile.

The PVC board sags after a while. It ain't wood. I recently made a brand new filler, using just the hinges from the old one, and reinforced a few areas with aluminum for anti-sag.

We use 1/4" fill lines from the manifold, just cheap tubing, which we replace whenever we change out the heads.

Gunk builds up between the boards and behind the hinge flaps. Take care there.

We run 12oz, 500ml and 750ml all with different stands under the bottles.

Cheers!
                  Nat West

Comment

• Bottler Update

I also use PVC put took a different route. I don't use Morebeer fillers as they just wear out too fast. I also mount my heads in a PVC block that is mounted on a SS shaft and spring loaded to stay in place. I have a small spring to keep the heads mounted for filling. The section with the PRV is free moving, so I can loosen one fitting and move it up or down to accommodate bottle sizes in a few minutes at most. I no longer use the lower toggles, just slide the bottles into place. I have found that a silicone stopper is far superior to the regular rubber type, and seals better. Just my 2 cents, I tweak them each time I make one. I currently have 3 nano's using them. Next version will utilize 1/4" solenoids and delay timers with a liquid sensor to eliminate ball valves - just need time. In the pic the first head has the silicone stopper (brite white) Will add a few close-up pics later and not outside shots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170811_193527.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	191485

Comment

• Hi Nat,

Would you mind sending a fews pis from your new filler? That would be really great help.

Thanks!!!

Originally posted by revnatscider View Post
                      Hey folks, just thought I'd chime in with an update to my rendition of this filler. We ran about 700,000 bottles through it over the last five years with very few issues, but a couple.

The morebeer heads need replacing every ~6 months.

We don't use the heads with gauges (deluxe). Theyre not worthwhile.

The PVC board sags after a while. It ain't wood. I recently made a brand new filler, using just the hinges from the old one, and reinforced a few areas with aluminum for anti-sag.

We use 1/4" fill lines from the manifold, just cheap tubing, which we replace whenever we change out the heads.

Gunk builds up between the boards and behind the hinge flaps. Take care there.

We run 12oz, 500ml and 750ml all with different stands under the bottles.

Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 02holzem View Post
                        Hi Nat,

Would you mind sending a fews pis from your new filler? That would be really great help.

Thanks!!!
                        Yeah, I'd be interested in this too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

• additional pics

Originally posted by 02holzem View Post
                          Hi Nat,

Thanks!!!
                          Here is a close-up, this one is actually bolted to a table along with the capper. Needs at least one operator and a capper.

Geoff

Name:	20170902_134339 (2).jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	191490 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170902_134204 (2).jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	191491
                          Last edited by BlackH2O; 09-07-2017, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackH2O View Post
                            I also use PVC put took a different route. I don't use Morebeer fillers as they just wear out too fast.

What fillers do you use? I have the morebeer fillers on my unit and they are flimsy and I would love an upgrade.
                            Dave Cowie
                            Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
                            Nevada City, CA

Comment

• Would someone would be willing to help me with purchase and shiping few McMaster PRVs with compression springs to Europe?

I already have 3 head version and it works like a charm but want to upgrade it to 4 head manifold version, but online service that shipped me previous ones are not longer available.

I"d also pay fee and next drinks are on me. PayPal preferably.

These PRVs are great since brass is easy to make a thread and attach fitting with silicone hose to prevent any spills. Hoses are attached to bottle to keep it clean.

Any help is really appreciated!!

Name:	IMG_20180416_170349.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	191714

Name:	IMG_20180416_170431.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	191715

Comment

• Come on girls and guys, I know there's someone willing to help me out with this.
                                I'm covering all the costs with fee for round.

It would mean a lot to us.

Sent from my GM 5 d using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X