Plastic Fermenter setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Fermenter setup

I was asked to post our setup for our plastic tanks with parts. We use 3 polyethylene cone bottom tanks. They hold 10 barrels full, so we ferment 8 barrels in them.

Hardware:
    We purchased three 10 barrel polyetholene cone bottom tanks from plastic mart.
    http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/...tank-cb0300-42
    There was a price break for 3 tanks. Three tanks cost the same as 2 tanks.

For $32 They installed a fitting in the cone for my racking cane. All the fittings are 2" pipe thread.

In the bottom and side fittings, I installed 2" x 2" TC x Male Pipe Thread Adapters:

On the side of the cone I installed a racking cane to the 2" tri-clamp:

On the bottom I installed a 2" to 1.5" reducer:

And a 1-1/2" 90° Elbow TC:

I used Econo 1-1/2" Butterfly Valves TC:

In the top I installed a CIP Tank Stationary Spray Ball 1" Female NPT:

Sealing the lid:
    The lid screws into a black fitting that is threaded on the inside that the lid screws into fitting that is screwed down to the opening in the polyethelene tank. I took it off and put a silicon gasket around the edge (the gasket went around the edge and it seals the top and bottom) then I screwed it back down to the opening in the tank. Screwing it down tight sealed the fitting to the tank and since the gasket goes around the edge and on the top and bottom, when you screw the lid down it seals also.
    I used the Lid Gasket for 7.3 Gal. Conical Fermenter Approx. 11.5" ID x 12.75" OD.

Cleaning:
    We clean the tanks with 170 degree caustic (5% solution of Sodium hydroxide) circulated through the spray ball for how ever long it takes to clean any bio mater off from fermentation.

Sanitizing:
    We sanitize the tanks with heat. I pump 30 gallons of 175 degree into the bottom of the tank, then hook it up to circulate through the spray ball. I set the lid on lose at first, because the air when heated will expand too fast for our 1" vent (the blow-off hose). I circulate the hot water until the whole tank and all its fittings are above 160 degrees to pasturized everything. Also when I pump the 30 gallons in hot, is submerges the racking cane and all fittings and heats them to 175.

Cooling:
    Since they are not jacketed, I have each fermenter in a box made of 1" styrofoam. They measure 4'x 4'x 8' high
    I put a small AC unit in it with a controller that is next to the fermenter with insulation over it. The controller turns the AC unit on and off based on the temp of the wort. That way I can control the fermentaion temp of each fermenter.
    I just use the old homebrew controllers I have.
    Make beer and wine with our great selection of home brewing supplies, beer making recipes, keg supplies, all grain beer equipment, cheese making supplies and beer glasses & growlers. Orders over $59 ship free, for a limited time!

I hope everything makes since
    Attached Files
    Last edited by johnnymax; 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM.
    John McKissack
    Texas Big Beer Brewery
    Newton County, Texas

Thanks John. It's valuable to have it in one place.
    Nat West

Comment

Thanks -- really appreciate you taking the time to put all this info together.
      Kevin Shertz
      Chester River Brewing Company
      Chestertown, MD

Comment

Nice, this is very helpful, thanks

Comment

Between this post, the $275 4 head bottle filler post and the $14 labeling unit post this guy is a hero among nano-brewers

Comment

Thank You
            John McKissack
            Texas Big Beer Brewery
            Newton County, Texas

Comment

Temp Control

I whole-heartedly agree with the hero comment! I would like to ask about the temp control Are you satisfied with temperature control you're getting in the boxes? I know it's not SS and glycol, but can you cold crash your beers when needed?

Comment

I am just getting my plastic conicals set up. They appear to be the same, though only 110 gallons each. I want to order the lid gaskets, but need to make sure they are the same size. The part that comes off my tank is 12.5" id, and 13 7/8" od, the part that screws in is also 13 7/8. Did you stretch the gasket a bit, or is your lid slightly smaller?
                Thanks,
                David

Comment

I stretch it around to fit. I took off the threaded insert and put the gasket on it, then screwed it back down onto the tank. that way, it seals the threaded insert to the tank, then when you screw the lid into the threaded insert it seal it also, making the tank air tight with one gasket. good luck
                  John McKissack
                  Texas Big Beer Brewery
                  Newton County, Texas

Comment

Thanks, that what I thought

Comment

I was wondering as well about cold crashing? How cold can you get with the ac unit?(I'd imagine pretty cold, but not quite "cold crash" kinda cold)

Comment

Any chance for pics of the top?

Any chance you could post a pic of the top of one of these fermenters? I'm curious to see how/where you positioned the CIP spray ball, blow-off hose, and anything else you've customized. Thanks in advance!

Comment

I too would like to see a picture. We were thinking of buying an extra lid and mounting the CIP ball on it and just move it around when cleaning rather than having to buy and mount one for each fermenter. Is that a bad idea?

Jim

Comment

Nope I can't really cold crash, down to 60 is all, but I could put a coolbot on it and get it down to the 30's

I will be breaking all the fittings down in a week or so for a major cleaning. I will try to take some pictures.
                            John McKissack
                            Texas Big Beer Brewery
                            Newton County, Texas

Comment

Would love to see pictures when you get a chance.

Originally posted by Admiral
                              I too would like to see a picture. We were thinking of buying an extra lid and mounting the CIP ball on it and just move it around when cleaning rather than having to buy and mount one for each fermenter. Is that a bad idea?
                              Also what size and kind of pump are you using for the CIP system? Do you use the same pump for beer transfer to bright tanks?

Thanks so much
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X