No announcement yet.

Brew House for step mashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Administrator, could you please split this thread and make a new one? I would be interested in following this one up separately...

Comment

Interesting ideas there on boosting extract efficiency. I'm running mine at about 71% for my single infusion setup - targetting 150-155F. I've just been doing it for 90 minutes, and have cut it back to 60 to see if there's any difference in performance - for one batch, no difference, so I've saved 30 minutes in my brew day.

Now, after reading this, I think I might try a very stiff mash at a lower temp, and then "top up"sparge with very hot water, then run a recirc to try to minimize the temp stratification. (I don't have an easy way to run hot water under the bed.)

Any watchouts?

Scott

Comment

Mash stepping

I worked with a Specific 10 barrel system with a steam jacketed mash tun and mashed in at 122° F the added 190° F water from underneath to hit about 144°(not to thin out the mash too much! I would add heat to either 152° or 156° depending on the beer. I could strir the mash effectivley with a paddle. I timed the heat and found it would raise about 2° per minute. So it made it simple down the road to just heat and stir for a certain time and I hit my target exacly every time!
        Doug A Moller
        Brewmaster
        The Moller Brew House
        (405)226-3111

Comment

No rakes

I purchased a 7bbl system that has a mash/lauter vessel that is steam jacketed but without any rakes. I have yet to install it and was hoping to get some input before I do. Would it be possible to raise the temperature of the mash without cooking the perimeter by doing a vigorous recirculation of the wort while steam heating? Are there others that have experience with stirring the mash by hand while heating? Good or bad results? Would it be possible to do a pseudo-decotion by cooking the mash that is in contact with the vessel for a period and then mixing it in?

Josh
          Draught House Pub
          Central Austin neighborhood brewpub with 74 craft beers, ciders and wines on tap.

Comment

Working...
          X