Quart bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quart bottles

Does anyone else think it is time for micros to start using quart bottles? (or liter) I think 22s are an unfriendly size for consumers-not enough for a good sitting, not enough to share, and poorly priced per fluid ounce. Quarts would be a better bargain for consumers, and a helluva lot easier for us-only one label, one cap, one fill, less airs, less handling.
    What is needed is enough brewers or homebrewers to let the bottle companies know we would buy them, and then they would make them with the crown or twist crown finish, instead on the aluminum roll-on top that I can find no way of us doing reliably.

Quarts are better

I agree about the sixzing issue, but one stigma might arrise. Aren't a lot of the malt liqours in a simular size (Ie Mickies, Steel reserve)? I have never purchased these, but see them on the shelf. If craft brewers start packing this way would we wind up next to our once removed beer alternative cousins, and not draw attention to our specaility products?
    I'm willing to try anything, so lets give it a go and see how it works
    Nicholas Campbell

Comment

Ironically, the 22 oz bottle was developed for malt liquors!

Comment

I have to disagree, though not on the issue of shelf space or confusion with malt liquors. Purely on the statement:

" I think 22s are an unfriendly size for consumers-not enough for a good sitting, not enough to share, and poorly priced per fluid ounce."

So you mean to tell me that 22 ounces of beer isn't a good sitting? Who really has the problem then, craft brewer's or people who haven't yet learned quality over quantity.Like I said, two servings, I always split 22oz. between two to four people, it's the perfect size to allow a few people a good sample size and gives them the ability to try other beers over the course of a sitting. I think the main problem is I have never seen anyone drink the contents of a "40" out of a glass. It's usually straight from the bottle,sometimes with a paper bag wrapped around it.

Craft brewers should be trying to make their products of enough quality and sophistication that consumers are searching for the "appropriate" glass. I don't allow people around me to drink straight from 22oz, it's awkward for one thing, looks bad and how can they see what they are drinking, take in the aroma and truely appreciate the beer itself.

The focus needs to be more on education of enjoying and appreciating beer and less of how can we get an entire nights alcohol consumption into one drinking vessel. Beer has long been considered a lowly drink in this country for this exact reason because the perception of a "beer drinker" is someone who sits back and cracks a twelve pack after work everynight and chugs down beers with their hamburgers and KETCHUP on weekends. Let's change that perception that it might one day include a crowd that shares beers, offers guests a glass, and appreciate the fact that if they chugged down their beer they'd be losing out on something more important than just their BUZZ!
        Cheers,
        Mike Roy
        Brewmaster
        Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
        5123 Baltimore Ave
        Hyattsville,MD 20781
        301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
        @franklinsbrwry
        facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Sometimes I enjoy two pints of the same beer, or have a pint each with a friend... out of pint glasses, not a bottle. Perhaps others have done the same. I agree about moderation yet there are occasions that call for two pints, not two 11 oz shorties. Those consumers looking for tactless volume still have the 40's and paper bags.
          The Carta Blanca/Tecate bottle is not made by Vitro Glass, but is made in Vera Cruz(?) by the brewery. A comparable pry off (liter) is made by Owens-Illinois in South America.
          There was a time that the 22 was only for malt liquor and never used by micros. We, the market, dictate what the glass people will make if, like the 22's, we can show there is a demand, it will be there for us and the thirsty cost-conscious consumer.

Comment

Are you a stickler for the pry off cap? If not, the EZ cap people do 1 liter flip-tops (a-la Grolsch).

I can see the marketing spin now:

"Your wife lied to you... size does matter!"

Regardless of your currently available choices, if you're so hard up for quarts, just order them how you want them. You'll pay through the nose for them, but you'll get whatever you want.

Everything is available for a price.

I'll stick with the 22's, for now, as they've proven to be good for sharing for our customers.

Comment

Growler in a paper sack?

I know this post is from 2005, but it caught my eye. Our micro is substituting 1 liter bottles for growlers, because of the advantage that when filled under counter pressure, the beer still has some CO2 left. Plus the size is right if you want to share a pint (ok, 500 ml) with a friend. I'm not sure about the wisdom, previously contributed, of having four people split a 22 oz. Unless you're like, needin' some spare change but want real quality brewski.

Comment

32 oz. bottles are available with the twist crown finish. Yuengling runs their Lager and their Premium beer in these bottles. I believe the Anchor plant in Elmira, NY makes them. So if you want them, give them a call.

Comment

we are just working on a bottling plan. I was torn between the 22oz and 1 liter sizes. But from my perspective the 1 liter bottles are just too expensive in comparison. I was also thinking of prefilling growlers as well. That way we have a reasonably priced package and a large package for those that would want the 1 liters.

Comment

I think the 22oz should be promoted as the beer alternative to bringing a bottle of wine to a dinner party. Make it fancy and bring along 2.

Comment

I figure a bottle of wine has about 5 glasses and no one thinks that's excessive. A 22 has just under two servings, a quart/liter has two pints or less than 3@ 12 ounce servings. You're gonna look cheap at the party with two 22's compared to the person with the bottle of wine.

Comment

So with that thought why not bring a 750ml of beer. Or how about a 6pk. In my opinion comparing perceived "cheapness" by bringing 22oz beer vs a bottle of wine is fruitless. The people that like beer will happy to see the effort made, the people that don't will have their complaint either way. If you are at a party sharing a bottle of wine you are pouring small amounts, why should a craft beer beer much different. I have always take a poll on who actually wants to try what I brought then pour samples from that. Using snifters is a good way to stretch serving amounts and it looks good too.

Comment

But of course bringing a 22 of good beer shows greater taste and intelligence, but you gotta see there's more either servings or tastes with a bottle of wine. It just depends how many friends you want at the end of the party! Tease them with a taste of beer and force them to finish the evening with the more abundant wine?...Ewww. A sixpack (or sixtel) would relieve that imbalance.

Comment

I've become a fan of the afore mentioned swing-top 1L bottles. Nothing to recycle, and they're too attractive to recycle. I find the quantity is nice for the wife and I to share at home, and I sell them out of my shop with a 3 dollar deposit. That covers the higher cost if they don't come back - only about 20-30% of them did for the first run I did.

Removable label stock helps make their reuse simple too.

Cheers,
                            Scott

Comment

Hey Pascal,
                              Glad to hear you're putting some more 750s out there! (With pry off caps that is...) I'll be in touch closer to Barleywine bottling season.

Cheers,
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X