No announcement yet.

Increasing Aroma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As stated before, time is definately a factor with dry hopping, due to the volatile nature of aromatics.

I believe there is one point that has not been mentioned; that of carbonating beer that is dry hopped.

How do you carbonate your beer? The reason I ask is that some breweries use inline pinpoint carbonation which is efficient and prevents losing aromatics. If you don't have inline pinpoint carbonation there are other methods you can use that I have found successful.

I would add dry hops (pellets) to the fermenter after fermentation is complete. So, the hops would be in contact with the beer during a diacetyl rest at your regular fermentation temp for 48 hours. After the rest, set the fermenter at a lagering temp (33 -35) and condition.

Since you do not filter, I would recommend using some type of finings during conditioning (Crosby and Bakers "Clearfine" works well). Before transferring, remove as much of the settled dry hops from the bottom of the cone.

Now for the critical carbonation and transfer part. While transferring the beer, do it very slowly to avoid foaming. Once the transfer is complete, do not vent the bright tank during carbonation, let the CO2 saturate via head pressure. Blowing down the bright tank will only release aromatics, much more quickly than you might think.

Cheers,

Aaron Brodniak

Comment

- How do you carbonate your beer?
      I apply head pressure of 28 psi for 5 days and voila! 2.3 vols of co2. (yes, I have a zahm tester)

About the only "modern" piece of equipment we own is the brewhouse (specific) and the above mentioned zahm- so while these ideas are great, I can't apply them. No conicals! Therefore, I've got no way to get clean yeast if I pitch pellets into the fermenter. I'm about one step up from having to keep stables of horses if you get my drift.

I tested one therory today, so it's too soon to say the effect.

I took some de-aerated water (4 Liters) and brought it just to a boil in a stainless pot. I tossed my hop bag in with 1kg. of whole hop, and then let it steep for 10 minutes with no applied heat. Then, hops and all were dumped into the serving tank (grundy) with the conditioned beer transferred in under it. The smell was wonderful, so I guess we'll find out in about five days. Then I can take a sample and know for sure how much difference there is.

I'll keep 'sperimentin' and we'll get some good feedback.

Comment

Bright Beer Bomb

I hope your Bright tank has an ASME stamp for high pressure...otherwise it is not only unsafe to pressurize it over 14.7psi, it is also against the law.

careful....
        Larry Horwitz

Comment

It's rated for 30 psi, and it has a pop disk in case of utter stupidity. I appreciate your care for my safety.

Update - I was just itching to try out the brew this morning (nothing like beer before breakfast) and the aroma is much improved with the "wet hopping" method previously described. The hop bags have already sunk in the tank to the bottom - which is rare when the hops are dry. Now it pops out of the glass with herbal/hoppy goodness. I will give it more time, though, and we'll see how it translates on tap.

Dave

Comment

I have read this thread and after that I have changed from dry hopping at 0 deg celsius to dry hop at 18 deg. celsius and then cool down the beer in lager tank. I have not filtered yet but so far I think dry hopping warm beer is more efficient.

Comment

Further to our discussion:

The IPA that I used the warm "wet hopping" technique on is being served as we speak. It has a much more pronounced hop oil profile in the aroma, with a slight grassy note that I'm quite fond of. The regulars have noticed too, and they seem to be quite receptive so far.

Since then, I've also done my pils with this method, and a few casks to which have been very well recieved.

I think we've got it solved. Thanks to all for your help/suggestions - and stop in for a beer if you're ever at the edge of nowhere.

David Rudge
              Brewer
              Bushwakker Brewing Co.

Comment

Working...
              X