Thread: Keg lifting & stacking easy & safe

Keg lifting & stacking easy & safe

We have been building lifts for over 50 years mostly for the HVAC trade and was asked by a consulting firm to design a lift for a customer who was having a lot of workers comp claims due to back injuries. We currently have two different base designs, one has 10 inch wheels in the back with 3 inch casters in the front and the other has four swivel casters for easy maneuverability in small walk in coolers. Please take a look at it if you want an easy way to make more room in your coolers, safe and easy. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
    www.vermettlifts.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How much are they?
    www.chattahoocheebrewingcompany.com

The list price of the Keg Jockey $1041.00 plus shipping.
    FYI: The Keg Jockey has a 400 pound lifting capacity, it easily handles two full kegs with our 9 to 1 gear ratio winch
    The width of the base is 22 1/4 inches
    The overall height of the lift is 69 inches (we can make them to fit your walkin coolers door height)
    joe@vermettlifts.com

Quote Originally Posted by v2comp View Post
    How much are they?
    Derrell, you know we can't have nice toys.
    Todd G Hicks
    BeerDenizen Brewing Services
    Serda Brewing Company
    (Brewery-In-Construction) - Finally!!!

I'm looking at a scenario where I would need to lift empty oak wine barrels (~60 gallons) and pull them off a barrel rack. The barrels are nominally 35" from head-to-head. But due to a lack of space, I'd like to put rows of them with only 36-38 inches between each stack for the aisle. A tight squeeze...

So in order to pull a barrel from a stack, and move it out of the location for cleaning, I'd need to approach from the side, pull the barrel out, and lower it to the floor. Hard to describe, but basically there's no room to get the barrel into the aisle, allowing for the lift to be inline with the barrel as your current design works. Instead, the lift pulls from the side. There could be load supporting arms going to the side, so the weight is not cantilevered off center. There is limited headroom, but it might be possible to tip the barrel on it's end to make more room.

Ideally, I could pull an entire rack (with two barrels, either full or empty) off, and set it on the floor to be removed by a pallet jack, but I realize that's a lot of weight (probably 1200lbs full). So at a minimum, I'd need to be able to move one barrel at a time, empty. But at this point, I'm looking for ideas. Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

The racks are designed to be lifted with forks, so you could look for a pallet stacker that could handle that weight. You would need more than a 35" or whatever aisle, probably minimum 60 or more to pull out the rack and turn it 90 degrees. It seems like having an aisle that is too tight is asking for trouble, especially if you are considering moving full barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dmartin View Post
    The racks are designed to be lifted with forks, so you could look for a pallet stacker that could handle that weight. You would need more than a 35" or whatever aisle, probably minimum 60 or more to pull out the rack and turn it 90 degrees. It seems like having an aisle that is too tight is asking for trouble, especially if you are considering moving full barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think I have room for a pallet stacker, and yeah, the aisle width is really narrow--I'm hoping to add an extra row of barrels. If I have to leave enough room to turn the stacker or lift, the idea is a non-starter. If I could at least take down empties without having to man-handle them, it would be a benefit, since most of the time you're filling or racking barrels in place. The building (which is small) has not been built yet, but I'm already about as wide as I can manage on the space I have.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mike

Ad renewal Bump

Thank you for supporting Probrewer.com