Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Breweries

Hello thread watchers from England,
    thanks for your last contribution to employment opportunites in England thread, very helpfull. Can you name some interesting, unique brewery's (style of beer maybe, or process) in England that you would recommend visiting?

Cheers

I.D. Rinks

Marstons in Burton, the only place still using Burton Union sets, Black Sheep in Masham, N Yorkshire and Sam Smith's in Tadcaster still use traditional Yorkshire squares, and Brakspears brewery in Oxfordshire (the exact location escapes me just now, and is actually known as something else (Whychwood) if I remember correctly. Brakspears uses the traditional dropping system for cleansing the yeast. Try Jennings in Cockermouth, which uses traditional squares, produces damned fine beers and is also in a superb part of the country if you like walking and rock climbing.

If you want to see a traditional steam driven plant with canvass belt drives etc, try Hook Norton, somewhere in Oxfordshire. Theakstons in Masham also have a belt driven mill (electric motor though), and like Sam's, use wooden casks (not exclusively though)

I haven't been round it, but Adnams, Southwold in Suffolk produce some superb beers.

There are plenty of good beers from loads of micros as well.

Cheers
    dick

Comment

You should check out York Brewery in Yorkshire. An interesting brewery using traditional methods. The brewers are somewhat friendly as well.

One of my favorite brew pubs is the Marble Brewery in Manchester, really nice Organic unfined cask beer. They do tours as well.

If your in Brighton stop by the Evening Star pub which has Cask and Keg beers made by Dark Star Brewery.

cheers !

Tariq
      Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
      Vancouver, B.C.
      Canada

Comment

I forgot to mention, Hook Norton has one of the few remaining open wort coolers (coolship). It was still in use about 18 months ago, but I have a feeling they were switching over to a plate H/Ex. I am sure they will walk you up into the gods to have a look though, even if it is no longer used.

Traquair House brewery also had a small unit a few years ago. I think this is still in operation

Yes call in at York brewery. I support Tariq's comments as a know a couple of people there, and it isn't far from Masham or Tadcaster

Cheers
        dick

Comment

Working...
        X