Boil over control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boil over control

Is anyone using an automated boil over control? I am looking for a sensor to shut down steam when the foam level reaches close to the kettle door in an effort to reduce boil overs, and potential injuries.

any advice on a potential sensor type would be appreciated.
    Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
    Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
    Elmsford, NY
    www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Foam sensor

Anderson Instruments makes a LN "Rod Type" Potentiometric Level Transmitter that would work for this.

A top mount insertion probe, the LN is designed with process control in mind. Ideal for filler bowls, balance tanks, kettles and pressurized vessels, the LN is immune to pressure or temperature changes excelling in applications where pressure based sensors come up short. It an be programmed to detect the foam level instead of the liquid level.

Anderson-Negele develops & produces wide range of sanitary sensors & solutions for process measuring & control for dairy, f&B & life sciences industries

They are not cheap but they work really well.Click image for larger version

Name:	LN-sil.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	189851
    Your CPE Systems Team!
    CPE Systems Inc.
    800-668-2268
    CPEsystems.com
    Thinkpumps.com
    sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

We use fermcap with great success. I know that's not what you're asking about, but my $0.02. Sometimes an easier alternative than changing equipment is changing ingredients. I put about 3 to 4 oz in a 30 bbl kettle. Not much at all. At our old nanobrewery I furiously boiled 52 gallons in a 55 gallon open-top drum with fermcap without boilover. Your wouldn't believe it until you saw it.

Cheers and good luck with your solution.
      Andrew Godley
      Parish Brewing Co.
      Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

Boilover control

We have installed a few of these in similar applications. They were designed as a continous level sensor for top mount on batch tanks, HLTs, etc.

We have found that they are sensitive enough to sense the level of the foam in a vessel. Basically we install one vertically down from the top of the kettle but short enough so that it does not touch the liquid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LN-sil.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	190179

When there is no foam the output is 2.5 mA, as the foam rises to touch the bottom of the probe it outputs 4 mA and as the foam rises up the probe the output would increase proportionally to 20 mA. We connect this to a controller to set an alarm, reduce the heat to the boil and ultimately shut off the steam before you get boil over and it is all based on the level of foam.

More information can be found here http://www.andinst.com/PDFs/5041.pdf or give me a call.

Thanks
        Your CPE Systems Team!
        CPE Systems Inc.
        800-668-2268
        CPEsystems.com
        Thinkpumps.com
        sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Simple and inexpensive option for boil over control

We now have an easier and less expensive option.

We are offering a dual probe sensor with adjustable sensitivity that you mount in the top of your kettle.

When the foam touches tip of the probe the built in electronics sends a 24 VDC signal to your PLC or even to a simple solid state relay to shut off the steam or electrical power to your kettle.

Name:	NVS-345.png
Views:	1
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	191202

Name:	NVS-345 wiring.png
Views:	1
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	191201

We can supply you with just the probe or a whole package including warning light or alarm to suit your specific needs.

Give us a call or email if you would like more information.
          Your CPE Systems Team!
          CPE Systems Inc.
          800-668-2268
          CPEsystems.com
          Thinkpumps.com
          sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Yes. Someone is using automated boil over protection!

It's standard equipment on most German-made systems. There are many different probe technologies you can use. Foam vs. liquid vs. steam detection is more difficult for some probe technologies. I'd recommend an RF capacitance-based system. Best to ask your I&C/automation supplier about what they might have.
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
            X