Location of solenoid valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location of solenoid valves

I've studied the diagram for a basic brewery chilling system on Pro Refrigeration's site (very useful site, by the way) and I have a question about the solenoid valves.

It seems to me that they would be better on the return leg from the fermenters and brites, thus making sure that the jackets were somewhat pressurized and consequently always full. Maybe we don't want constant pressure on our jackets? But with the throttle on the input side, isn't there the possibility that the glycol could conceivably be drawn out of the jackets leaving them not full? I know that would take some suction, but maybe from a small leak somewhere? Maybe this is picking at nits, but inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Politicians and diapers need to be changed often, and for the same reason...

I wouldn't do that. most fermenters are no pressure rated. It could cause pressure to build up in the jacket, making it rupture putting glycol the beer. always have it on the in leg of the fermenter.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
      I wouldn't do that. most fermenters are no pressure rated. It could cause pressure to build up in the jacket, making it rupture putting glycol the beer. always have it on the in leg of the fermenter.
      Put it on the inlet, and put A valve before it and on the return so you can isolate the tank. That way you can pressure test your coolant loop before filling it without pressurizing the tank jackets.
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Your jackets are a closed system. You will not fill nor empty them by valve location. Nor with pump suction or leaks. Or for that matter, pressure. You fill only by pushing the trapped air out of the jackets with glycol. That's why you put the glycol IN on the bottom! Conversely you empty by allowing air inside the jackets. Put the solenoid valve on the inlet. NOT ON THE OUTLET. Put a separate isolation valve and union for EACH supply and return glycol between the header and the fermenter piping/components/valve train. Your solenoid and/or isolation valves are not throttling (modulating) valves. They are either fully on or fully off. You will need to install an air eliminator on the highest point of your glycol supply and return lines/header. Might be best to have a professional install according to the principles outlined in the diagram you referred to. Best of luck.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

On the inlet to fermenter. When you heat them up to clean them, the glycol will expand and needs to have way out.
          Paul Thomas
          Brewer
          Sockeye Brewing
          www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Working...
          X