Removing Valve from Hoff-Stevens Keg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Valve from Hoff-Stevens Keg

I have a hoff-stevens keg and would like to remove the valve. I do not have a hoff-stevens tool or know where to get one. Does anyone have other suggested techniques to remove the valve.

Thanks

Steve

sabco industries sells the tools required.

Comment

If your intention is to not reuse the keg for beer, allen wrenches, (maybe liquid wrench), screwdrivers and pipe wrench will do.

Comment

Hi Steve-

I believe SABCO no longer carries the tool for HS kegs. We went down this road a couple of years ago with no satisfactory solution. The tools are two part wrenches. The inner part has two prongs that fit in the CO2 and beer holes. The outer part has three stubs that drop into the allen set screw holes. The inner wrench is held in place, while the outer is tapped to unscrew the threaded collar on the tap. We found some used, but the prongs on the inner wrench were sheared off and we never found good replacements for them. Everything we used sheared or bent in short order. Of course if you don't need the valve intact Moonlight's suggestion will work fine. Let me know if you need any pointers on working with the things and I might have a tool to sell if you want it.
        Clarke Pelz
        Cynosure Brewing

Comment

There is another possibility. I have seen some Hoff-Stevens that do not have the little allen head set screws, but instead the valve is held in place by a "C" clip. These are pretty rare, but if you don't have the three set screws, you will not need anything more than removing the clip. If you have the set screws, start soaking them now in liquid wrench. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X