Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weizen, Weiss, German wheat

Originally posted by liammckenna
    Underpitching and underoxygenating will indeed accentuate ester production but have a thought to 4 vinyl guaiacol, the spicy/clove like phenolic important to many wheat beer styles. Production in wort/beer is linked to certain conditions.

1/ Grain bill - >30% wheat is recommended. It is the source of precursor to 4VG - ferulic acid.

2/ Fermentation temp - higher favours more.

3/Fermentator shape - dished or square favored over cylindro-conical

4/ Use of sterile wort for priming - favors 4VG

5/ Use of protein rest at 111-112oF, pH 5.7 - frees ferulic acid from pentosans it is bound to.

By overpitching and heavily oxygenating, you will lessen ester production and accentuate this important character. If you underpitch and underoxygenate, you'll risk overpowering this important compound with esters which may be short lived in bottle anyway.

Pax.

Liam
    1/ Grain bill: 1/3 wheat has maximum 4VG; you can have less wheat and enough clove and other flavor.
    2/ ...Rule of thumb: target for 30C sum of pitching and fermenting temperatures. Pitching yeast at 12C and fermenting at 18C is a middle of the road.
    5/ Use of protein rest at 111-112oF, pH 5.7: IMHO, it is misinterpretation.
    It is optimal for 4VG, but recommended mash schedule is mash in at 35C (95F) and protein rest at 50C (122F). pH of the mash of 5.2-5.4 is the optimal as for any other beer style.
    And the best recommendation is Eric Wagner's "German Wheat Beer": great reading!

Comment

Kristall Weizen, that is what you want to do, right ? Meaning no deposits, yeast or proteins but cristall clear filtered!

And a Kristall Weizen goes much more towards the direction of a Lager, call it the missing link, no high aroma profil, low in esthers, so the challange is to keep iso-amyl acetat and 4 vinyl gujacol low!

Just my two german cents ..
      Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Hofer
        "To attempt to brew a classic Weissbier using English ale yeast would be like trying to make a single malt scotch in Japan." Eric Warner, "German Wheat Beer".
        ...I'm looking at Suntory single malt "Yamazaki" and don't know what to say.

Leonid

Hey now! Japanese whiskey has come a long way in the last 10 years Mr. Eric Warner!
        www.devilcraft.jp
        www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

How about fermentation temperature for maximum enhancement of 4 vinyl guaiacol? I've gotten mixed results despite temperature differences. There doesn't seem to be much merit in the old addage regarding clove vs. banana esters and temperatures. I found a higher level of iso amyl acetate just from using a dish fermentor, and definitley noticed a difference when I under-pitched. My customers called my beer runt weiss (people swore I fermeted the beer with thoses banana shaped runt candies you get from vending machines).
          Long question short, after following all of the advice in Eric Warner's work as listed above (great book, by the way) i.e. over-pitching, thoroughly oxygenating, etc., what fermentation temperature would be best suited for enhancement of 4 vinyl guaiacol?

Comment

Weissbeer

We have set up an emulsion of natural spices extracts and bitter orange peel essence called WB-MIX (white beer mix). WB MIX is a brand maker to add to a standard base beer with low bitterness (10-12 EBU) as unique requisite to obtain a white beer with a taste and flavour close to the main commercial Belgian white beers. We also have developped WB-MIX-D to produce a German type weissbier.

You can find more information about this "brand final touch" concept on our website www.cbsbrew.com

Cheers!

Pablo Alvarez
            CBS: A team of brewing experts producing natural flavors and special brewing enzymes to help the brewers to produce new brands and modulate beer properties.

Comment

Scotch

"To attempt to brew a classic Weissbier using English ale yeast would be like trying to make a single malt scotch in Japan."

Used Bourbon barrels ship to Japan just as easily as Scotland. Getting some peat might be a little more interesting...
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Back to Weizens

So to dig up an older thread, I'm trying to make a fluffy, clove-spiced wheat. Banana and bubblegum flavors would be nice in moderation, too. I've roughed out the plan as follows: OG-12.6, FG-2.9 55% red wheat, 40% Pilsen, and 5% 10L Munich. I'll rest at 45C for 15 minutes before adding calcium and raising to 68C with hot water for a half hour rest to conversion. The mash will be quite thin; about 5:1. Planning a two hour boil. No oxygenation using dried Danstar Munich pitched at 500g/8bbl. So, back to this thread topic--at what temperature should I ferment to accentuate the phenolics?
                Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

The warmer the fruitier and more bubblegum. Ive used 75F to get it real fruity. I have'nt heard much good about that particular strain though. I've always used whitelabs.
                  Big Willey
                  "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Rob,

Fermentis WB-06

Makes a superb Hefe!
                    Mike Pensinger
                    General Manager/Brewmaster
                    Parkway Brewing Company
                    Salem, VA

Comment

I have to say the WB-06 does work pretty well. I have a roggen sitting in secondary atm that is turning out nicely. I think if I was going for a Hefe I would up the fermentation temp a bit from the 20 I fermented the roggen at.
                      BJ Knoke
                      Hub City Brewing Company
                      "The Largest Microbrewery In Stanley, Iowa"

Comment

Working...
                      X