Thread: Expired beer for cows

Expired beer for cows

I'm looking for info on the practice of feeding cows beer that has past it's "best by" date.

Would this affect the quality of the milk?

Are farmers usually apprehensive when first approached with the idea?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by CraftbeerPR; 04-04-2005 at 10:24 AM.

Likley a urban myth.
    No way alcohol is good for what is usually a 2-3K$ dairy milk cow.

I wouldn't think feeding it to a dairy cow would be a good idea. I have read that the cows that Kobe beef comes from are fed beer and sake.
    Travis

Warbird Brewing

Fort Wayne, Indiana

The dairy farmer who picks up my spent grain tells me that cows don't process alcohol like humans do. Apparently they can do a better job of breaking it down without becoming intoxicated.

That said, I still wouln't install a draft line next to the watering trough.

Scott

feeding beer to cows

Any ruminant (sheep, cows, goats) can digest alcohol. It actually breaks down in their first stomach, before it hits the bloodstream. We have fed spent beer to cows and sheep, and while they will drink it, they do not seem to derive any positive affects from it - either in terms of health or perceived quality of their singing. Pigs, on the other hand, not being ruminants, get right drunk and hang around shouting obscenities and falling over. If you want to get a ruminant drunk, feed them apples, which will ferment in their stomach (which is exactly that, a fermentation vessel) and create alcohol.

So, there is no urban myth involved in feeding beer to cattle, but there's no benefit. I would suggest using the beer to water the garden or to moisten compost - try a local vegetable or fruit grower. That way, the nutrients in the beer can be added back to the soil.
    Rebecca Kneen
    Crannóg Ales
    Canada's Certified Organic, on-farm microbrewery
    www.crannogales.com

Here is a news story from ProBrewer News on the topic:

http://www.probrewer.com/news/news-002424.php

Cheers,

Admin