Back Pressure Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Pressure Regulator

Is anyone using an outlet back pressure regulator on their BBT while force carbonating?

A pressure regulator that maintains the tank exhaust at a pressure setpoint is what I'm after.

Right now that job is entrusted to a 3/8" ball valve, which works but...there is a more precise way of maintaining a setpoint.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    B

I'm not using one, but I think you're looking for a spunding device.

Somebody had a long discussion about them here awhile back.

edit:

Comment

Also see this thread

Comment

Thanks, but those are not what I am looking for.

A Barby Kuehner valve is only useful if you are only giving off small volumes of CO2, unlike during forced carbonation. They are best used when carbonation increases gradually like during kraeusening.

I am looking for a setup that will allow for more volume to be exhausted, but still maintain a pressure setpoint.

B
        Last edited by zbrew2k; 04-07-2005, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Cheap fix:
          Could you rig up a high flow regulator to do the job?

Devil's Advocate:
          1. Are you not losing head retention by carbonating so violently?

2. Are you not scubbing out aroma, too?

Comment

check out scandibrew variable top pressure regs - call your local alfa laval rep - not cheap but good

Comment

backpressure

checkout airtrol products, they have backpressure regulators, don't know if they'll work in your situation though.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions!

As for carbonating violently....well, no more violently than using a pump to transfer the beer from point to point. Head loss, yes, but an acceptable amount. Better than uncarbonated beer.

That does make me ask the question: "Should there be a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Beer (SPCB)?"

Comment

Sounds like you are looking for a pressure relief valve. We also force carbonate our beer in the brite tank. We have 2 2" tri-clover openings. We cover one with a cap and the other with a pressure relief valve that lets the pressure build to 12lbs and then starts to release when it gets higher. You should be able to buy them with different pressure settings for your needs. Check out Crosby, GW Kent, or McMaster-Carr. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X