Thread: Brown malt

Brown malt

Greetings,

I want to make a british style mild brown and am thinking about using a little bit of brown malt. Having never used this, I was wondering what percentage would be appropriate and any advice or concerns from using it.

Thank you,
    Beaux

55lbs in a 10bbl batch (11.5bbl knockout) will give you a strong impression of the malt. More than this is overwhelming. For milder flavor use 1/2 this amount.
    It is like a dark toast flavor showing up in the aroma and aftertaste. It gives this style complecity. I feel it is a defining element in a brown ale, along with caramel malts.
    As far as malsters, I have liked all the English producers of brown malt i have tried.
    Operations Director, Tin Roof BC
    ted@tinroofbeer.com
    "Your results may vary"

Thanks, I guessed with 25# for a 10 bbl batch, so it sounds like I will be safe...did not want to be overbearing but wanted some of the malt profile.

Thanks for the response.

Update: The brown malt at 5-6% of grist bill gave a good impression of the malt, very unique malt flavor. I would not go more than this % based on what I am tasting, might be too much. I am happy with the beer, so it worked out.

biz82 Guest
    I brewed a 7bbl batch of Scotch ale with 110 lb. of brown malt and it was definitely a bit much. That said, I don't think 10% is too much. I like the strong and distinct flavors if they can be matched by hops, strength, body etc.

Good call, I can see how a bigger beer could support that. My beer was a mild brown with little alcohol and malt to support such a strong flavor, not to mention a low hop rate as well....(par for the style).

brown ales

If you want really good advice on brown ales, talk to Wil Turner of Goose Island Brewing Co., Clybourn Pub, Chicago. I've worked with him a couple of times. He's a real good brewer and really knows the brown ales very well. I believe he's taken some gold with his brown ales.

- John

Quote Originally Posted by rebelo
    If you want really good advice on brown ales, talk to Wil Turner of Goose Island Brewing Co., Clybourn Pub, Chicago. I've worked with him a couple of times. He's a real good brewer and really knows the brown ales very well. I believe he's taken some gold with his brown ales.

- John
    Wil has a new beer premiering every week this summer at the Goose Pub. He's a busy guy but I know he has a wealth of information.