Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of flow meter

Hey all,
    I am in the market for a cip friendly sanitary flow meter to hook into a 1.5" TC line between:
    Whirlpool and FV
    FV and Filter
    Filter and BT
    Measuring water to grist ratio in Mash
    pretty much anywhere

Want to measure flow rate, and total volume through.

Can a "sanitary" model with a rotor be reliably CIP'd?
    Should I go magnetic?

Hoping I don't need to go over $2000

LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS OF BRANDS TO PURCHASE NEW.

Thanks,
    __
    Kushal Hall
    Common Space Brewery
    Hawthorne, CA

I love GPI's digital meters. I know they make some that are stainless, they might have one that can be CIPd, worth looking into

We’ve been building superior products since 1972 in the heart of the Midwest – Wichita, Kansas, USA. We are home to GPI®, GPRO®, and FLOMEC® brands, dedicated to providing our customers with the most reliable products and superior lifetime performance.

Edit: This one says it is used with acid and caustic so could surely stand up to the task.
    Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!
    Last edited by wailingguitar; 05-11-2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bham.

Anyone else out there have options I should look at?

Currently I am looking at:
      GW Kent
      GPI
      Blancett
      Omega Flow
      __
      Kushal Hall
      Common Space Brewery
      Hawthorne, CA

Comment

I second Bham Brewer's recommendation of the GPI flowmeter. We called up a local distributer (found on GPi's website) and found that the price was much better than the MSRP. I believe it was in the $675-700 range.

One very nice thing about the 1 1/2" Tri-clamp model is that it is exactly the same size as a standard T fitting, so it can be easily slipped into any place in your hard piping where there is an existing T.

Cheers-Mike

Comment

Hi there,

I would normally use a sanitary flow meter from the larger industrial instrumentation companies - Endress & Hauser have very good quality equipment, and this is where I would usually go to as the first stop (here is an example: http://www.uk.endress.com/#product/10H). Then there are others like Emerson, Yokogawa, Siemens... All of these may be more expensive than the sanitary GPI option, but would be worth a look. From memory I think GPI just takes a battery? So maybe it is an all around more simple solution for your needs...

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

GPI Temp Range

We're finishing the buildout of our brewery and realized we hadn't sourced our flow-meter yet. The previous three breweries I worked at all used the GPI stainless steel flowmeters for cold-side transfers and two used them for mash/sparge water volume calculations. I've never seen one fail even at higher-than-rated temps up to 180. Has anyone had any issues with the computer failing at higher temps? I never run chemicals through it, but do use 180 deg water to pasteurize.

I know they are rated to 140 degs and you can remotely mount the electronics, but I like the convenience of the single unit. Any advice would be appreciated. And sorry for the revival of such an old post, but I hate posting new threads for related topics.

Comment

Second the Input

Would love to use this meter as well, also concerned about running strike and sparge water through it.

Comment

We run strike water through our GPI just fine, but we did remotely mount the electronics on our brewhouse panel.
                Russell Everett
                Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                Bainbridge Island Brewing
                Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

just picked up the meter and remote kit from buygpi.com and spoke with a helpful individual who said the unit is rated for 250* with the remote kit here are the part #'s G2S10T09GMA (Meter)
                  1132265-1 (Standard Remote Kit)

Cheers

Comment

FWIW I believe we fried our gpi meter's computer by using it to measure our strike water. Worked for a while but gradually started to read way off (reported values much higher than could have possibly been flowing thru it). Didn't note its 140 F specified temp limit until that point. Still acted as though it were otherwise functioning normally, so I figured we had damaged something inside mechanically. Was unaware until reading this thread that there was a remote kit for the computer, so we might give that a shot with a new unit.

Comment

flowmeter

We use the Econo Turbine Flow Meter from GWKent for mash and sparge waters as well as cip water. Good up to 300F. Works great

Comment

Whitewall, could you give me an overall length measurement on that unit (and whether yours is 1 or 1.5 inch)? GWKent does not provide specs, and I can never seem to get a response from them.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by fmeric View Post
                          Whitewall, could you give me an overall length measurement on that unit (and whether yours is 1 or 1.5 inch)? GWKent does not provide specs, and I can never seem to get a response from them.

Cheers
                          Ill be at the brewery in the morning. I can get you the info then. It is 1.5" BTW

Comment

Originally posted by Whitewall View Post
                            Ill be at the brewery in the morning. I can get you the info then. It is 1.5" BTW
                            6.75 from flange to flange. 11" from pipe to top meter display.

Comment

I've noticed people online using the GPI meter listed above to measure flow rate of wort going into ferm vessels.

We were recommended the Piusi Turbinox flow meter with Tri-clamp ends. The flow meter is rated for food (in addition to AdBlue, Antifreeze, Water, Windscreen). It was recommended as a substitute for the GPI meter.

Flow meter info can be found here: http://www.piusi.com/products/flow-m...4-and-turbinox

We should be good to use this meter inline, after knockout, right?
                              Last edited by Sean_KillsBoro; 01-25-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X