Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Fire Kettle Exhaust Heat?

Hey Guys,

We have a 3bbl Glacier direct fire kettle and are trying to get our vent completed. It seems like every contractor and inspector starts to freak out when you say "brewery." Anyway, one of their issues is the heat coming out of the exhaust vent on the kettle. One person we spoke to said it would get up to 1500 degrees F and we just don't think that's right. It's holding us up and we are needing some good technical advice.

So my question to all you experienced folks, what kind of heat is your kettle pushing out of the exhaust vent? Also, if you can share what kind of venting requirements/materials you have seen we can compare that to what we are being told.

Appreciate the help!

Thanks,
    Paul Ford
    Brewer
    5 Stones Craft Brewing Company
    Last edited by PJford15; 05-14-2013, 09:43 AM.

We have a 10BBL glacier tank. Lots of heat goes up the flue. We have some issues but currently estimate about 20% makes it into the kettle. We haven't measured flue temps but natural gas jet burners are supposed to put out 1800-1900F. If I do the math, 1500F doesn't seem too far fetched unless you're efficiency is much better. Of course you'll have other losses so it might be somewhat lower. I've seen other posts with ranges that are much lower (500-900F) but they may have better efficiency.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Our gas pressure is regulated and we really won't be able to measure efficiency until after the vent is installed... as far as I know.

Comment

Venting

Originally posted by PJford15 View Post
        Hey Guys,

We have a 3bbl Glacier direct fire kettle and are trying to get our vent completed. It seems like every contractor and inspector starts to freak out when you say "brewery." Anyway, one of their issues is the heat coming out of the exhaust vent on the kettle. One person we spoke to said it would get up to 1500 degrees F and we just don't think that's right. It's holding us up and we are needing some good technical advice.

So my question to all you experienced folks, what kind of heat is your kettle pushing out of the exhaust vent? Also, if you can share what kind of venting requirements/materials you have seen we can compare that to what we are being told.

Appreciate the help!

Thanks,
        Paul Ford
        Brewer
        5 Stones Craft Brewing Company
        Use Stainless steel if possible as it eliminates the corrosion factor. It will get quite hot. Adding a damper will make gas setup easier.

Comment

Not that hot

We just went through this with the city on our 15bbl Pub system.

The brewery we bought the system from had double walled type "B" venting on it w/ dampers. Our local inspector said he wanted to know what temp the exhaust was coming out and make sure that the venting in place was rated higher than that.

Since it's not only the burner, but the design of the firebox, that determines flue gas temp, there was no way to prove it w/out firing it up and letting it exhaust into the brewery.

We ended up having to buy double walled stainless steel w/ 2" refractory insulation. It is a specialized product that took 3 weeks to get and cost over $8K not including installation. It is rated for industrial boilers and resists temps up to 1500F. We have an unusual exhaust setup with 2 points of exit from firebox and they join each other into one straight piece that goes another 18ft to the roof.

In the end, we clocked our 850K btu burner exhaust at 550F. The cheap B vent we looked at was rated to 600F.

I do agree about the stainless steel/corrosion issue. Galvanized will be cheaper up front, but you WILL be replacing it in a few years.

If you need more info shoot me an email porter t b c at gmail. com. I can give you the names of 2 companies I spoke with, one of them I bought the vents from.
          They are both extremely knowledgable when it comes to burners and venting. They are in northern california.

Comment

Originally posted by porter View Post
            We just went through this with the city on our 15bbl Pub system.

The brewery we bought the system from had double walled type "B" venting on it w/ dampers. Our local inspector said he wanted to know what temp the exhaust was coming out and make sure that the venting in place was rated higher than that.

Since it's not only the burner, but the design of the firebox, that determines flue gas temp, there was no way to prove it w/out firing it up and letting it exhaust into the brewery.

We ended up having to buy double walled stainless steel w/ 2" refractory insulation. It is a specialized product that took 3 weeks to get and cost over $8K not including installation. It is rated for industrial boilers and resists temps up to 1500F. We have an unusual exhaust setup with 2 points of exit from firebox and they join each other into one straight piece that goes another 18ft to the roof.

In the end, we clocked our 850K btu burner exhaust at 550F. The cheap B vent we looked at was rated to 600F.

I do agree about the stainless steel/corrosion issue. Galvanized will be cheaper up front, but you WILL be replacing it in a few years.

If you need more info shoot me an email porter t b c at gmail. com. I can give you the names of 2 companies I spoke with, one of them I bought the vents from.
            They are both extremely knowledgable when it comes to burners and venting. They are in northern california.

Thanks a lot for the info! This validates a lot of my own research and should help us quite a bit. Our burner is 320k propane.

Comment

Working...
            X