No announcement yet.

Is it possible to be over-experienced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you dont want to leave So Cali, Stone is selling their premisis, they have a basic system and created a reknowned and successfull brewery with it, Could you too?

Dont worry about the fact your brewery failed, Mine did too, its rough, due to reasons out of my control it finally closed dec 2004, I was too stupid to get out when I knew it was a waste of time too, I "held on to my little dream" I still havent fully let it go, allthough I have relocated and found a great job starting another brewery In the DK. (they bought my equipment also)
    You should check out Europe as an American brewer, You think your a brewing god there, come over here and see if you really are. (in some cases you will be, and in most you wont)
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

rebelo,

I'd suggest that you get someone to review your resume, and then work on your interviewing skills. Do some practice interviews. I don't mean pay someone to do this, just get someone in the industry to help you, preferably someone who is experienced, professional, and who understands business.

Second, take an objective look at your attitude, your goals, and the perspective you have about this industry. Ask yourself some hard questions, and then ask these same questions to someone in this industry who you respect, and see if your current views are as realistic as they should be.

Are some of your perceptions actually misconceptions? Do you have a realistic, objective understanding of this industry, both from a brewer's perspective and from a businessperson's perspective? Do you understand what it takes to be successful and professional in this industry? And are you doing those things?

You are definitely not a loser for having a brewing business that failed. My hat is off to anyone who takes that chance, regardless of how the endeavor ends up. The brewing business, like the restaurant business, is very competitive nowadays, and it requires lots of work, luck, and sweat equity to keep a company going.

Most businesses fail within 5 years of their startup date. Starting a business and running it profitably is one of the hardest things for anyone to do. Just the fact that you tried says a lot. I started two businesses. The first one failed. The second one succeeded. I worked 55-60 hours, 6 days a week, in the 2nd one for 11 years. So did my brother, who was half-owner. Then we sold it. So it was a good experience, but there was a personal cost to it too. I'm glad I did it, but honestly, I don't know if I would do it again.

Good luck to you, whatever you do.

Comment

finally!

Dear Friends in Fermentation --

I've finally found some work in the beverage industry; in production, no less! I'm not making beer, but making wine. I'm just a grunt for the time being, doing everything but the winemaking. It's all good.
        And, of course, the pay is not much, (It's a new, small winery) but the satisfaction is the same. It feels so good to work in the cellar and out in the vineyard or the apple orchards. Soon I'll get to work the tasting room and the festivals.
        There's also a lot of potential in the future for various prospects, such as cider making, partnership, etc. This employer really respects my experience in the beer/alcoholic beverage industry.

Thanks to all of my friends at Probrewer.com for all of the moral support during the long, dry period that I just suffered. I may not have made it back into the beverage industry without you. Thanks to you, I still have a future in these labors of love.

It's nice to get my boots wet again.

Cheers!

- John Rebelo

Comment

Good for you John!
          Glad to hear your back in yer' boots again.Seems this industry,(Beer)..is driving out anyone with any formatible experiance.
          I too am cleaning tanks for a winery in the mountians now, and I love it.
          To my own surprise,...I don't even miss the pretentious crap of the brew-pub scene, not to mention the disgusting stink of the resturant industry as a whole.
          (I suspect there's a special place in hell just for resturant GM's.)

It appears that brewers with any more than 10 years experiance are increasingly rare (even according to the poll here).No suprise to me at all.
          No wonder the general quality of beer in pubs is so low.

Good luck John,...keep yer' boot's wet!

Comment

Working...
          X