Measuring Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring Water

Just wondering how most of you measure your brew water? sight glass, flow meter....

Thanks!

DN25 electromagnetic flowmeter from Endress+Hauser fitted with 1.5" T/C ends for portability. I modified the spools leading into the MLT especially to take the flowmeter downstream of the hot/cold mixing point. It also totalises flow - imagine how handy that is?!!!

Comment

$2 Solution

Dipstick Science

Buy an unfinished, untreated broom handle and mark off the inches with a non-toxic sharpie, marking every fifth inch with a bigger line and a number for easy reading.

Measure the number of inches in your kettle/tank/pot/bucket/straight sided-glass/water tower/hot tub ...

Convert those inches to gallons or barrels with the following formula:

Multiply 3.14 (pi) times the radius squared (in inches) times the height (in inches) of your straight sided cylindrical vessel.

Divide this number by 231 (the number of cubic inches per gallon).

This gives the total number of gallons to whatever height you are working with.

Divide this number by 31 to get the number of barrels per inch.

VOLUME PER INCH IN BARRELS = (pi)(radius squared)(height)/(231 cubic inches per gallon)(31 gallons per barrel)

This equation works for any cylindrical vessel with straight/parallel sides and a flat bottom. (It can also work for cylindroconical vessels for volumes above the cone. For volumes within the cone, I believe that you would have to divide the above formula by 3...)

I also have some mixing formulas to help determine temperatures, mieral content, color, ibu's or hbu's, gravities, etc. of mixed liquids if you want ...

Cheers!

Comment

Ps

... remember/write down the number of gallons per inch for various tanks for future reference and quick calculations.

- John

Comment

Thanks Guys

Im looking for electronic with an relay output. Oh yea its gotta be under 500 bucks

Comment

I've always used John's method...a good dipstick! However, instead of measuring inches, I marked half-barrels. That way I didn't have to do any more calculating than necessary!

Electronic stuff is cool, but a good dipstick gets the job done, isn't very much prone to failure, and can easily be replaced if necessary!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Sight Glass

At my first brew position as soon as I took over I calibrates the sight glass for mashin and sparging. My gravities and alcohol content came within /100 percintiles every time. Really gave me the consitancy you get from a large brewery who blends!
              Doug A Moller
              Brewmaster
              The Moller Brew House
              (405)226-3111

Comment

Working...
              X