standpipes for brite tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• standpipes for brite tanks

Does anyone know of an easy way to add a standpipe to a brite tank? On some of our unfiltered beers, I would like to leave the yeast sediment behind in the tank. I'm thinking of a short piece of stainless pipe that I could wedge in the outlet of the tank, so that the pickup point is a couple inches above the bottom of the tank. But I haven't found any off-the-shelf fittings that are the right diameter to fit inside the outlet pipe. Has anyone found an easy way to do this?

Cheers,

Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

I have used standpipes before that were custom built onsite by a brewery handyman. A removable SS standpipe with a tapered end to fit into the tank outlet of the BBT. The tapered end also allowed more flexibility due to minor differences in the BBT's. A large, thick (1/2-3/4 inch) stainless disc was built into the base of the standpipe (above tapered end) to give it more stability and preventing it from falling over while filling the tank. We had about four inches of SS pipe above the SS disc to leave behind yeast. A small SS closed loop was on top of the standpipe for removing and placing the standpipe from tanks using a long SS rod. Total weight of the standpipe was about 20 lbs, a bit heavy but they never fell over or were ejected from port while filling BBT.
    Mike Jordan
    Brewmaster
    Boxing Cat Brewery
    Shanghai, P.R. China
    michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Even easier is to get a pipe just a bit smaller than the Id of your exit...something thick walled enough to have a small channel cut in. Insert an o-ring and install. Specific Mech. has a great design that also includes a small keyway to help hold it in place....but you could get away without it. The whole unit should cost about $20...
      Larry Horwitz

Comment

Thanks, Larry, that's what I had in mind. Our outlets are 1-1/2", with an ID of 1.4". I'm having trouble finding off-the-shelf stainless piping that fits snugly in there, and was wondering if anyone knew of such pipe.
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

look in the Mcmaster Carr catalog...but you could have a bigger pipe machined down very cheaply too...
          Larry Horwitz

Comment

Hello,

We've used the stainless pipe trick with a smaller disk (like a fat SS washer) welded at an appropriate height. The pipe didn't fit real tight, but the disk against the tank bottom stopped a surprising amount of yeast. The trouble was, it was hard to get the right tubing height. It was always to short (lots of yeast) or too tall, (lots of beer left behind). So...

If you have smaller tanks, faster turnaround, and are looking for a quick inexpensive, adjustable solution, try a thick walled, clear, food grade tubing cut to an appropriate length. Inexpensive, infinitely adjustable for beers with differing yeast loads, snug fit, and disposable when "manky".

Aloha,
            Ron

Comment

Here's some pics of standpipes that came with our grundy tanks. The brewer we purchased them from had these made...we don't have any use for them, and I have 3. I'm not sure about size, or what to ask for them but I could let you know if you're interested.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X