brewery employment questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brewery employment questions

- Are their jobs available out there for new brewmasters?
    - What would you all recommend for someone looking to get involved in/with a brewery for educational purposes?

I am a recent graduate of a 4 year college with a degree in Mechanical engienering degree, and am seriously considering going to school to learn to to be a brew master.
    Anything else you can suggest/recommend will be appreciated

Don't do it.
    There's already about 50 brewers for every brew-pub in America.
    The labor market in this industry is incredibly over saturated.

Comment

Same.....for different reasons

I'm with Mr. Hops, but would probably work it a different way.........depending on your goals.

I have a BS degree in Manufacturing Engineering, got into brewing back door as a homebrewer like most. Along with a partner, we opened a Brewey on our own while we were working for a bigger business as employees (we still are, but because we use their benefits package and I enjoy the assignment).

I'ld say get out there and use the BSME degree for what you trained for, and look into any Brewing education packages on someone else's dime. One, you'll make more money with the Mech E degree and two, you can build your plan while you're making a living, and getting that all important resume building experience using an Engineering degree.

Comment

Do a little searching for threads on employment and salary issues.

Here are a few:

To condense the info in those threads:

1) There aren't a whole lot of jobs available.
        2) You'll probably have to relocate.
        3) The pay is barely adequate for a head brewer/brewmaster, and you won't start out at that level.
        4) The lucky, lucky few who make it through to a good situation get to make great beer, drink great beer, and feel great about it all. Note the first part of that sentence!
        5) As a mechanical engineer, you'll easily make double what most brewers make.

Cheers, Tim

Comment

I have to agree with most of the replies to this thread - put your ME to use at a "normal job". Keep homebrewing and working on your business plan. Right now your ME degree is not all that valuable to an existing brewery - that is, you won't be compensated for it - but if you start your own one day, that degree will save you tens of thousands of dollars, if you have practical engineering experience to go along with it.

Cheers,

Linus Hall
          Yazoo Brewing
          Nashville, TN
          B.S. in Mech. Engineering, but can't remember any differential equations, though I took five semesters of them!
          Linus Hall
          Yazoo Brewing
          Nashville, TN
          www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Try applying with the large breweries. After a few years of induction, they will train you to move into brewing if you want.

Comment

Working...
            X